Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lavender, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Dell Vista, Word 2010, Chrome

How can I prevent MSE from being disabled while my computer is shut off?

MSE constantly is disabled even when my computer is on or goes to Yellow - Potentially unprotected - in the sys tray and I am asked to run scans five or six times a day. It always runs a quick scan when I boot up, and I ran a full scan yesterday. I need to use my computer, not constantly run scans.

How do I get this to work properly and stop anyone from disabling it?

(Other security programs are also being disabled and some have to be uninstalled and re-installed to get them to switch on. Other threads will deal with those.)

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi mate , go to MSE setting unchecked the box

Start the scheduler scan only when my computer is not but not in use

after that update your antivirus !! :wave

Attached Files:

3. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Un-check which box?

MSE is my anti-virus program, I have no other.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The box that he told you to uncheck in MSE. Look at the screen shot.

5. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Duh!

Did that but I guess I have to close down and restart to get the yellow warning to change.

I'm told I haven't run a scan for a long time. Ram full scan yesterday.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

This is not normal Lavender - I suspect conflict between MSE and some other security app you still have on your computer. You recently uninstalled a different AV saying you hadn't realised what it was. It's possible it hasn't fully uninstalled - this does happen sometimes and cleanup tools have to be used. What was it?

7. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Many thanks, Earthling. Yes, I recently uninstalled Panda Pro 2012. I just ran a search for 'panda' and nothing was found but that doesn't mean there isn't something hidden about.

Which program do you suggest for making sure all is wiped. I have Uninstall Unwanted Apps (IObit) on my computer but I've never used it.

Incidentally, when I ran Mr. Fixit earlier it said there was a problem with my Recycle Bin that it couldn't fix. That might be part of the problem but I checked Windows on line and couldn't find a solution. I actually uninstalled Mr. Fixit and re-installed.

I run Advanced System Care 4 every couple of days but it hasn't mentioned the Recycle Bin.

8. Earthling

I think I'd like to see just what is starting up automatically. If you have Ccleaner can you post a screenshot of its Tools > Startup page please? If you don't have it then it's HERE.

9. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I have CCleaner and run it several times a day. Not sure if I can make a screen shot but I'll give it a try.

10. Earthling

I believe you have Vista. As long as it's not Basic you have a built-in capture tool at All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool

11. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I hope this is right. I've never done it before.

Yes HKCU:Run SUPERAntiSpyware C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    Yes HKCU:Run Advanced SystemCare 4 "C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 4\ASCTray.exe"
    Yes HKCU:Run com.codeode.privacymantra "C:\Program Files (x86)\Privacy Mantra 2.06\privacymantra.exe" -minimized
    Yes HKCU:Run Sidebar C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run COMODO C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO GeekBuddy\CLPSLA.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run CPA C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO GeekBuddy\VALA.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run TrojanScanner "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe" /boot
    Yes HKLM:Run SearchSettings "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Spigot\Search Settings\SearchSettings.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run IObit Malware Fighter "C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter\IMF.exe" /autostart
    Yes HKLM:Run EKIJ5000StatusMonitor C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\EKIJ5000MUI.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run MSC "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    Yes Startup Common Secunia PSI Tray.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe

12. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks, Earthling. Saw your message too late and went the other way. I hope it's okay. First time I've been able to do it.

13. Earthling

One obvious problem is Defender. MSE is supposed to disable it so it's a bit of a mystery how it comes to be there. Disable it in Ccleaner and reboot.

There are other security programs there that might possibly conflict too but I'm not familiar with all of them. Anyway, let's just try one thing at a time. If anyone else wants to come in on the other security programs then please do so.

14. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks. Okay, deleted it from the CC list.

I can find it on Control Panel Classic View but not if I go to Control Panel Home where I could delete it.

Defender has been messing me about for over a week but, according to my PC, it is switched off.

MSE still yellow.

P.S.
    I think I found where I can uninstall it via Control Panel. Should I do that?

15. Earthling

Oh dear! Just been reading a little on Iobit Malware Fighter, yet another realtime AV program you have running at the same time. No wonder you are having constant problems Lavender. There may be more yet, but you are going to have to kick that off too if you want to run MSE.

16. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Uh-oh. On my way to boot it out.

17. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

IOBit gone, so is IOBit tool bar. MSE still yellow.

Got to let the dog out. Back in five.

Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  18. Earthling

Reboot after each removal. Now, if you open MSE's user interface what is it telling you?

19. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Wow! You did it! MSE is all systems go - green.

I can't thank you enough, Earthling, and through you I've learned a bit more about my computer and how to do a screen shot. Never thought I'd manage that.

You've just been sent a big kiss.

20. Earthling

Great news! Not sure you realise you can take a more detailed look at your MSE status and settings by right clicking the tray icon.

Also take a look at the snipping tool as it helps you take graphic shots of parts of your screen that you can attach to your posts.

Glad I was able to help :)

21. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

MSE shows up in green in my sys tray, if it's protecting me. That's how I came to notice that yellow meant unsafe.

It's odd but IObit kept refusing to download updates, so there was conflict all around. If something like that happens again, I have a better idea of what's going on, thanks to you.

I'll give the snipping tool a try next time but I'm really a dunce at anything except straight typing. I worked with the very first IBM back in 1983 but computers are still a mystery to me. It's great to have folks like you around who have the patience to deal with people like me.

I truly appreciate your help and kindness.

22. falconattack

Lavender , i am really sorry , i was out for a walk , i am glad you sorted out by Earthling support , good point of you is to go Start - Run msconfig - navigating to startup tab uncheck programmes which is running during system start up , after that your machine will be quicker than now !! :wave

23. Earthling

Yes, but if you right click that icon and click Open you can tell it just when you want it to run its scan, as the default setting might not be best for you. There are also several other optional settings and status reports. You should study it.

I suggest you ignore the advice about msconfig as it is not intended as a means of making permanent changes to the system, and should only be used for testing and analysis. If you want to enable or disable a startup do it through Ccleaner. However there isn't much in your startup list now so I wouldn't bother with it.

24. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

25. Earthling

Thank you Solaris, that has answered a question for me about MSE behaviour, as I eventually uninstalled it because of this :) I shall now reinstall it as I prefer it to Avast.

26. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks, Falconattack. No problem, Earthling did a fantastic job and he was very patient with me and very polite.

I click on msconfig nothing seems to happen, but I'll check it again sometime. Actually, my computer is fairly fast. I am the one who slows it down because I don't always know where to look for things other than documents on Word.

27. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Many thanks, Earthling. I tend not to put too many programs in Start Up because most of my time is spent in Word and I don't always need to go on line. Opening my computer is fairly fast and MSE always runs a short scan before I do anything else. MSE sits in yellow until it's part way through the scan and then it changes to green. It's a lovely colour!

I also booted a few other programs I had, like Comodo, so it's even faster opening now.

28. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks solaris. I removed it from CC but MSE wasn't showing any problems with wanting scan after I followed Earthling's suggestions about booting other programs.

Wondering if I should re-click it. I'll give it a shot and, if MSE comes up with a scan issue, I'll remove it again.

29. Earthling

Hi Lavender

It's a satisfactory outcome and I'm very optimistic that the 'hacker' stuff that has been such a concern to you was in fact just another side effect of the conflicts and will now stop. Hope so anyway.

30. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Wonderful, Earthling! So all your patience with me yesterday paid off and served you well. (They say God pays back.)

I've read in several places that MSE is superior to other AV programs. I believe it is but I had other silly programs that I didn't recognize as AVs. I'll know better from now on, thanks to you.

Thank heavens you were here yesterday to help me. This thread might serve to help others who wonder about AVs.

Kudos, Earthling.

31. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I hope so too, Earthling, but it's odd how some programs disappeared overnight, photographs, too. I have masses of empty space on my computer, so lack of space isn't a problem. He also changed my password on MG a while back so I emailed Tim about it and he got me back in here.

Nucleus is being doubly careful with my email account because the hacker also uses them and they know his IP. A firewall managed to block and record a proxy he used so I could pass on that information. Apparently proxy hackers are not easy to catch but little old me managed it thanks to the firewall. Nucleus has to be careful because they know this is going before a judge, probably this month, and they might be called as witnesses. (There is a lot more going on than hacking.)

Keeping my fingers crossed.

32. falconattack

33. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I don't know what I'd do without Major Geeks. You guys are so patient with me, and I really am a dunce at these things.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds