What are the best brand of dvd to use burning movies?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by calbluejames, Apr 9, 2013.

1. calbluejames

calbluejames Private E-2

I have been using some Verbatim DVD+R that I got cheap. The price was good, but it seems like I can only burn large movies at a 2.4 speed. Any faster and I risk the disk not writing. Should I stick with Verbatim because I like the affordability? Also what is the difference between +/-R?

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I like Memorex brand, but have used Verbatim, HP, Kodak . . . many brands in fact, and my deciding factor is always price. In point of fact a lot of DVDs are made in the same factory, but are branded for different companies (which is true for a lot of stuff).

Not sure about all the differences between +R and -R, but what little I have heard is this:

--The DVD-R is compatable with more DVD recorders/players then +R, but any DVD device made since 2010 is probably compatable with both formats

--DVD-R is sometimes cheaper then +R, but that does not seem to be true as much anymore that I have seen

--Video aficionados seem to prefer +R format because its recording scheme allows for better error correction, but why that would be I have no idea. I'm not a video perfectionist by any means.

--DVD +R is reported to have a few megabytes less recording space

I have used both formats for the same type projects, and to be honest I can't tell any real difference in the two. Maybe . . . and I mean just maybe, the DVD+R seem to be a better choice for recording large video files, and seem to suffer fewer bad disks. I have logged no data to back that up, so it is just a personal opinion.

All in all, I have some DVD-R and +R that I recorded eight years ago and they both still play fine . . . don't recall which brands they are but I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I'd stick with the Verbatim if they work well for you and are cost effective. I like the Memorex as I have used that brand more then others because I got a gazillion of them cheap once at an auction, and since then they seem to be about as cheap as any other brands I've found.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use Verbatim, Memorex and even HP. (whichever I could grab at the best price). So far I haven't had any fail on me.
    I have a spindle of DVD+R and DVD-R. I'm trying to use all the +R's up because one of the cheap DVDs players we have attached to the kitchen tv won't read them.
    After they are gone, I'll stick with -R simply because then I can play the DVD in any of the three players attached to tvs in the house.

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

When I first began burning DVDs, I also used whatever was cheapest - and I paid for it with coasters, degradation, etc.

I now use exclusively,Taiyo Yuden (premium line) and find they are the most reliable, and the price is comparable to the other brands.

I only burn in 8x - works the best.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/search?search=taiyo+yuden+dvd-r&fromHeader=true&hiddenSearch=

5. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

In addition to JVC, I think some Verbatim and Polaroid branded DVD's are made by Taiyo Yuden (among other brands).

Good advice . . . by and large slower recording speed = fewer errors and wasted disks.

6. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I have been burning disks since the first Phillips 1X CD burner came out in 1994 and me and 10 mates each put in $500 to buy one of the first ones available in Australia for $5500 and no PC included in this price :( Blank -R CDs were $45 each but things have progressed and things are much different today :-D

Currently I have 2 X DL Pioneer DVD combo burners, 2 X DL Samsung DVD combo burners and 2 X Samsung bluray burners. I don't burn many bluray disks as the media is still too expensive and 64Gb USB sticks are better value as they can be reused.

For DVDs
    I use:- Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Mitsui, Phillips and Mitsubishi and these have had no issues.

Ones I avoid as I have had problems are:- Ridata, Ritek, Princo, one series of TDK, Traxdata and the cheap no name ones that come in bulk packs taped together without a spindle.

You can find out the real manufacturer of any disk and you will be surprised they are all made by only a handful of factories ;)
    MG has this handy tool listed (by Kris Schoofs) that you can use to identify the real disk manufacturer here :major

If you really want to read about the difference between +R and -R then go here and then go to the next page for the functional differences.

Hope this helps

Cheers :drink

7. calbluejames

calbluejames Private E-2

Thank you all for the great input, seems like it is a safe bet to stick with verbatim... I never realized that they sold different lines of disks. When I have more money I think I will try Taiyo Yuden

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds