Creating private network segment of of another private network segment using DI-604

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mhcox, Dec 5, 2004.

1. mhcox

mhcox Private E-2

I'm working in an office that that has a building network provided by the building management. We're using a D-Link DSS-5+ switch to connect to the building network (192.168.1.x) and using 4 static IP addresses assigned to us by the building managment. I would like to swap out the DSS-5+ and replace it with a DI-604 router to create my own private network segment (192.168.0.x).

I configured the WAN side of the DI-604 to use one of the static IP addresses assigned to us and added the primary/alt. DNS addresses to the static IP configuration. I configured the LAN side to use the DHCP server in its default configuration (192.168.0.x network handing our IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.100-199). I reconfigured the 4 desktop PCs running Windows XP to use DHCP to obtain IP/DNS addresses.

All the PCs can access each other on the 192.168.0.x segment. None of the PCs can access the Internet. I can ping all the gateways (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1), but can't ping the DNS addresses or any Internet address.

Is this a limitation of private address segments, the DI-604, or have I misconfigured the router? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

2. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Re: Creating private network segment of of another private network segment using DI-6

Im not familiar with Dlink routers. However, How are you getting DNS? If you are using one of the static IP's you being assigned you need to make sure you have the DNS your building LAN supplied, and make sure the subnet is the same.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Put back one computer on the switch run ipconfig and see what address is indicated as a DNS server.

Put this address as the Router’s WAN DNS.

:cool:

4. mhcox

mhcox Private E-2

Thanks Cat5e and RickM for replying.

I'm using the DNS primary/alt. addresses and gateway address that were used when the desktop PCs were using static IP addresses. So I don't think that is the problem.

Any other ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds