whats wrong with my pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laserbrain, Feb 2, 2005.

1. laserbrain

laserbrain Private E-2

ok this is my problem.

yesterday when playing world of warcraft my screen froze and everything stoped responding. nothing new in mmo's so i restarted then the same thing happened after about 3 minutes of surfing. then i rebooted again and it froze on the 'abit' logo screen.

so i leave it for a while, get into bios after reeboot, check temps-all fine. cpu is like 33 c mobo is something the same. so i reboot after a while, get into safe mode, run a virus scan and spybot. they dont find anything too serious. backdoor downloaders and the usual spyware i clean off my pc every other day.

i talk to a dial a tech guy and he tells me its maybe a failing hard drive. i did notice that my ati radeon 9600 pro needed updated but it wasnt a successful install for some reason. so then after i mess around in safe mode and clean it of nothing that seemed out of the ordinary, it worked. oh btw i also performed a system restore during all this.

so it worked all day today np but tonight it freezes again. as i type this im afraid of it happening again. could it be an outdated driver? could it be a failing HD. one thing i can tell you is that before it froze the last time i heard a click coming from my hd.

thanks in advance guys

2. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Possibly your hard drive is going under. Especially
    if you are hearing clicking sounds from it. Are
    you overclocking your pc at all?

I would go to the HDD manufactures website to
    see if they have a hard drive utility.

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Initially I would think it is a failing HD, but the fact that you stated it froze on the 'abit' logo screen which is a part of the BIOS not the OS leads me to believe your problem is one of these:
    1) PSU
    2) RAM

~ if the Abit logo screen comes up right after POST, when NT Loader kicks in and if that is when the system froze then a failing HD could still be the culprit since after POST it is MBR/NT Loader which is on the HardDisk.

Anyhow, let us know if you find something new. Give details on your system if you can... ;)

4. laserbrain

laserbrain Private E-2

well i suspected ram at first. even now i have republican commando installing on my desktop and im getting small freezes and i have a gig in there. but would this cause lockup at post? i did get a message about missing ntdlr or something when i tried to do a repair install with my win home xp disc.
    my xp3200+ isnt overclocked btw. i have 3 hard drives in there. the c drive is 20gb, the other 2 are 40 and 80

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Yes, RAM is one of the most critical components that you do not wanna go cheap on.
    People think they can mix RAMs together even if they are the same size/type (512MB PC3200 - 400MHz DDRAM) different brands could have different CAS timings which could easily cause problems, 1nenosecond fault is all it would take especially when you are not using ECC type RAM.
    Majority of the 'freezing' type problems are linked to RAM, like I mentioned if your system freezes on a BIOS based screen or when you are in the BIOS settings screen, what components could possibly cause it? HardDisk is not even in effect so skip that, PSU? possible but PSU problems would generally cause shutdowns or reboots not freezing. Mobo? possible but not likely. Device Drivers? They are on HD, and not yet in effect when you are in BIOS HD is out of the question. BIOS settings? Very valid but the system would freeze right after POST (BIOS Power On Self Test) is completed or while running a CPU extensive process. So what else? Overheating of CPU? Very possible but again if all the fans are working and the PC was turned when it was cold and right around BIOS screen, the PC freezes, not likely that it is overheating since it would not happen so quick if it does then it is a one time deal meaning CPU fan failed or heatsink missing or damaged the CPU and bye bye CPU. Only RAM without being damaged but rather flakey could cause inconsistent, periodic system freezes....and least that is what I can say with these symptoms.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds