DVD Burner & CD-Rom or CD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Redfox, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Redfox

Redfox Private E-2

Currently, I have a CD Rom and a CD-RW installed in a Dell 4500 running Win XP with SP 2 and all updates. I have a DVD dual layer Burner coming next week so one of the current drives has to go. I have been advised to keep the CD Rom so I can reinstall windows when necessary (but the DVD Drive will do that). I have also been advised to keep the CD-RW drive to write to CDs (but the DVD Drive will do that).

In either case I plan to set up the DVD Drive as master and the other? drive as slave.

Is there a good reason to keep one drive over the other? Recommendations please.

I searched the forum for the answer to this but was unsuccessful.

Thanks,
    Charred

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

If I were going to keep one of those two it would be the CD-RW, your dvd burner will function as a regular cd-rom. dvd,rom dvd burner and a cd burner, but some dual layer dvd burners do not write cd's as fast as a regular CD-RW. What brand dvd burner are you getting.

3. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Keep the cdrw so you can backup your music and pics from cdrw to dvd rw or vice versa--

My2cents

4. Redfox

Redfox Private E-2

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, I'd say keep the CD-RW only because I can't think of any good reason to keep the CD-ROM. Anymore, plain CD-ROM drives are pretty worthless.

Good choice on the burner. I bought the 8x version of that drive about 1 year ago. Has worked great ever since.

6. Redfox

Redfox Private E-2

Thanks Wyatt_Earp, I appreciate the confirmation on the choice of burner.:cool:

Charred

7. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I agree with everyone, Go with the cdrw & dvdrw combo!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds