Limited Access on Home network but I can connect to other networks fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D21, Jan 31, 2012.

1. D21

D21 Private E-2

I've been searching for solutions for 2 days before deciding to start a thread before I go bald from tearing my hair out.
    I recently did a windows recovery to factory settings, using a recovery disc I created on day 1 when I bought my laptop (Sony Viao vgn-nw240) to remove smitfraud (unsuccessfully tried to remove it). Now I can't connect to the internet through my home network. To complicate things the router isn't mine it's my landlords so access to it isn't easy. He did try reseting it for me to no avail. Details about the problem. My computer has no problems finding wireless networks so I clicked on my home network typed in the security code (yes it's corrected I've tested that theory out), it tried to identify the network for a few minutes then told me it couldn't connect. Now it says "unidentified network no network access" and beside the name of the network it says "limited access." I ran a diagnostic, problems found are: "wireless network connection" doesn't have a valid ip configuration (not fixed) and problem with wireless adapter or access point (detected). I went to a McDonald's to see if maybe a driver didn't reinstall and it couldn't connect to any network but it connected just fine to that network. It also connected to my phone when I set it up as a 3g hotspot but the crafty devils at Verizon want to charge me money to allow my phone to be a hotspot so canceled that. I've tried releasing and renewing my ip address and it won't let me "no operation can be performed on wireless network connection 2 while it has its media disconnected." Ditto for wireless LAN. I followed a forum direction to connect the media but still get this error message. Following directions to reset the tcp/ip and winsock settings were likewise unsuccessful. I can't find any other solution and I really hope someone on here has an answer.

Thank you fr any help you can give.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds