wireless adapter sees router but no internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angerbill, Aug 18, 2008.

1. angerbill

angerbill Private E-2

My setup: DSL modem -> D-Link 524 wireless router -> Compaq HNW-100 pcmcia wireless adapter -> Dell CPi D266xt laptop running Win2000.
    I installed drivers for the adapter and it appears to connect to the router. ("linked" appears in the tray). pinging an address brings back "unknown host" .
    Ethernet connection to router shows "wireless PC connected" and the MAC address for the adapter card in the LOG (as well as my 2 ethernet connections which are working fine).
    This is my 3rd day researching multiple help forums, changing settings etc. and I feel like i'm going in circles. Tried giving the laptop a static IP, then obtain IP address automatically. When I match the router's WEP settings on the adapter config. window, the link light starts blinking on the adapter card. Disable encryption and the light stays steady green.
    I know some of this is old equipment but I am just trying to learn.
    I have not reset the router intentionally because I already have so many variables. Is that what I need to do ? I attached my last 3 ipconfig /all results while tinkering with settings. Thanks if anyone can direct me.
    Peace,Angerbill

Attached Files:

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

In Internet Explorer

Tools>internet options>connections tab

Click never dial a connection

Click on lan settings

make sure nothing is ticked in the three boxes

Click apply

Click OK

Close IE and reopen

Post again if this does not help

3. angerbill

angerbill Private E-2

Thank you for the reply studiot. I followed your instructions but still no internet
    The guy who loaned my wife the wireless card took a look and says it's something wrong with the actual card itself. Oh well , could be worse. FWIW I just bid on another card for < $10. Maybe that one will work. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Angerbill

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds