Windows UI - incorrect text wrap width

Discussion in 'Software' started by XTAL256, Aug 8, 2009.

1. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

I recently got a problem with the word wrap in UI static text boxes. Here is a screenshot of a few apps in which the problem is noticeable:
    [​IMG]

It seems to happen only occasionally, about every second time i turn my laptop on (although i usually hibernate it).

About a month or so ago i ran Auslogics registry cleaner and this problem popped up shortly after. I don't know if i accidentally removed some registry key which resulted in this problem, i was going to revert to the back-up but i didn't want to go and re-remove all those keys again if it was not the cause of the problem, and now the back-up has been deleted (it was only kept for a month).

I am fast running out of battery so i will just finish by saying if anyone has any idea of what could be causing this or how to better diagnose it, please tell me.

thanks

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Try adjusting the icon font size -

Right click desktop > Properties > Appearance tab > Advanced. Click the drop down and select Icon

Attached Files:

3. XTAL256

It doesn't seem any different, 32px size with 8pt Tahoma font. I could reset the theme (i.e. change to another theme then change back) if you think it could have something to do with the theme properties. But i wonder if there is a registry key or something that sets this width or something.

4. XTAL256

Actually, if it can be fixed in the Display properties i would guess it would be something to do with the window text rather than the icon size. I will have a look when i get home.
    The win32 DrawText function is responsible for drawing text on a window in the given rectangle, it appears that this function is calculating the word wrapping incorrectly. The question is, what is causing it to fail? The algorithm takes into account screen size and resolution as well as font type and size. Well i have never changed any of them and the problem occurs intermittently so something must be interfering.

5. XTAL256

Does anyone have any other ideas? If not i will try resetting the theme (although i don't want to because i will lose any custom settings).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds