trying to learn c++. I need the tools. Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dvzon, Apr 30, 2010.

1. dvzon

dvzon Private E-2

This has become extremely frustrating...

I'm looking for a compiler, a debugger and a text editor to be able to start learning c++.

First off, I can't find all 3 individually, and when I find something that might work, the zip file contains like 20 .exe files so I don't wanna take the risk of unzipping it in my pc.

Second of all, to learn html all it takes is a simple notepad .txt file, and bam! This c++ business is absurd. Why isn't there a website with all the needed tools to download and start programming? I've been to jupiter and back looking for the tools but I CAN NOT FIND A SINGLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT WILL HELP. God so frustrating...

Third of all, do I just have to get Visual c++ 2010 to learn this piece of crap language? I mean, is c++ some hidden secret that only a few people will ever get to know because they all have visual c++ 2010 or what?

I'm sorry but I'm extremely frustrated. Everyone taunts this language as one of the greatest things to happen since sex, but the internet has absolutely not one website where you can go and download all the needed tools and get started. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

So...I'm wondering if there is anyone, anyone at all, that can possibly please help me because I swear to you I'VE BEEN SEARCHING BUT I CAN'T FIND THE TOOLS!!! that's all I need...the tools to get started.

Thank you!

2. dvzon

dvzon Private E-2

& btw...I'm not looking for freebies. I'll pay for whatever I need, but I need someone to guide me and say "get this piece of software, it costs $xxx, and that's all you need," or "get this, this and that, and that's all you need." I've gone from website to website, and in every single website there is not a single post suggesting one tool - they either suggest 3 or 5 tools, and then someone replies "oh, but they don't work anymore." Well, great!!! tx for nothing!
    So yeah, if it costs money, that's not the issue. I just need someone to say "get this."

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You're on the right track, from your post. Visual C++ is an IDE (integrated development environment) that performs the functions that you require. (Compiling, debugging, source composition/text editing)

You can get a free (express) version for educational purposes at this link. Although, if you want to write production/commercial applications, you will need to purchase a full version.

This is because C++ is a compiled language, and HTML is an interpreted language. When you make a C++ program, you "compile" it to include any library or any other piece of external code you reference inside your program, all into one executable. HTML is more direct. What you see is what you get. (At least, before you start moving to dynamic HTML).

There are other IDEs for C++, I'm not sure why you're having such difficulties. Visual C++ is a good one, though. Try the link above. Also, you can visit the Visual C++ Developer Center for tutorials, and other resources. :)

Good luck!

4. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

Another option is to use the g++ compiler in linux.
    You can download VirtualBox for free to virtualize Ubuntu, then you download an Ubuntu iso for free.

Getting Ubuntu into VirtualBox is pretty easy. Just click the <new> button in the upper left hand corner of the VirtualBox window, then the wizard will guide you through the steps. Once you boot into Ubuntu, be sure to install the addons to get additional nifty features, like fullscreen (gasp!). To do this, go to "devices" ->"install vbox addons" on the vBox toolbar of your Ubuntu window. Or you can press "Host+D", which is generally "right ctrl+D".

To install g++, open a command line, then type "sudo apt-get install g++". to use g++ to compile a file called test.cpp, type "g++ test.cpp". If you want to name the resulting application something other than "a.out", like "smiley", type "g++ test.cpp -o smiley".

5. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I had the same problem. I finally got GNU GCC for Windows. It's available free from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcw/
    It is supposed to work with Visual C++ syntax, if you go that route.
    I tried Visual stuff, but it was too complicated for me, as I'm used to command prompts and such. It may likely be the opposite for you.

To edit, I usually just use Windows Notepad. To compile, use the command prompt to run the gcc.

I sometimes use other editors, IDEs, that replace notepad, adding extra features and integrating with gcc for faster compiling and debugging without the command prompt. I use minGW to handle makefiles because cygwin was too much. It's supposed to have its own compiler, but I use it with the one I had already. They seem to be more complicated to download and put together.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds