front page versus linux web builder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Superior1, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Superior1

Superior1 Private E-2

My Specs:
    WindowsXP
    Celron 1.8
    128Mg DDR
    40G Ultra DMA
    48x CDrom
    3D Intel Extreme Graphics AGP
    Ethernet DSL Bellsouth

I hae been building a web page in front page. I have the web page up on angelfire temporarily just to play around with it.
    I have a friend that is supposed to send me a linux based web builder because he is placing me on a linux based system.
    Even though I was just now getting used to front page, I do not mind because I would rather learn from the start with something that I will be actually using in the field. I do not know HTML and actually pretty computer illiterate. I know NOTHING about linux except that it's reliable. I'm building a paid membership web site so reliablity is a must. What problems do you guys see me running into being a newbie and trying to learn a linux based web builder and not front page like 99% of the newbie like myself usually use. If my ADD doesn't kick in I learn pretty fast. :)

Also what linux based web builders are out there and which are user frinedly? I am sure I will have more questions but will leave it at that for now. Thanks!!

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

welcome to MG..

I do not know any linux based web builders. No offense but your friend sounds like he wants you do something that he's decided because he doesn' t like windows. I konw from experience that windows 2000 / windows XP are just as reliable and stable as your linux OS's. I personally can't stand it when people like your friend force something on other people because you are inexperienced..

Aside from that.. you are not going to get the full benefit out of the site if you use front page. You should consider learning HTML and some dynamic language like ASP, PHP or .NET .

3. dcdognuts

dcdognuts Private E-2

I use NoteTab Pro for all my web pages, Frontpage is in my opinion the worst program you could use for building web pages (fine for someone who just wants a couple pages friends can visit), if your planning on learning anything about HTML stay clear of Frontpage, listen to Kodo.

If your going to try Linux I'd suggest Mandrake or Debian.

4. Superior1

Superior1 Private E-2

:)

Actually , I think Iam having a hard time understanding my bro.
    He isn't forcing anything on me. He just said that his linux system was just more reliable, He never said linux based web builder that was my terminology. I asumed, Iwant something that is user frinedly which I feel front page is but I do not have the time and resources to learn anything extensive. I understand HTML is not extensive so it is possible.

So what is note tab pro exactly? Thank fellow and pleaseeee
    excuse my simplicity and ignorance on this subject.

5. dcdognuts

dcdognuts Private E-2

Notetab Pro is just like Notepad in Windows just with 50,000 more features, you can use Notepad to make web pages also, that's what I started out on, till I heard about Notetab Pro.

If I make a web page with Notetab Pro & someone else makes the exact same page with Frontpage, mine will load faster & it's smaller, Frontpage bloats the code with useless tags. I could rid a web page made by Frontpage of 20 to 40% of it's useless tags using Notetab Pro.

There's a free version of Notetab & a paided for version, it's $19.99 US for the Pro version a small price to pay.
    http://www.fookes.com/notetab/

Here's a handy site to get started on HTML, lots of links to.
    http://www.pagetutor.com/

6. Nibblesdacat

Nibblesdacat Private E-2

CoffeeCup - "Free HTML Editor" (Windows 95 to Windows 7)

I prefer the program put out by CoffeeCup - "Free HTML Editor". Feature for feature, you are not gonna find better for the price or in many cases in paid software. Also if you spend a little cash and get the remainder of their software that you actually pay for you will have a very cheap and effective web design suite.

This program not only does HTML / XHTML / XML / CSS, but can also do Java, C / c+/ c++, and many others as well. It is designed to build mostly in HTML, and then add in the code snipets you need from other languages.

A built in preview window, FTP, WYSIWYG editor (in paid version) and color coded text / coding are among the many features here. There is also editing and saving from the web, and the ability to open HTML / HML files without renaming or keeping a separate version.

The most useful of all that I find personally is the one where you start a tag, select the right one, tap the enter key and it puts it right in for you. You don't have to remember each little code because you can select them out of an alphabetical list.

I started on just plain TXT files. I found this program and fell in love with it. I actually threw out a paid copy of Dreamweaver over this free program because I could actually figure out how to use it, and it was easy.

Dont take my word for it though. Get it and give it a try yourself.

http://coffeecup.com/free-editor/

Linux

If you are looking for stability here, you will find it. You are also less susceptible to virus attack, but more open to exploits. It takes a person that is not computer savvy a while to get used to this format. Once you get into it, it wont take long and you will be flying around like in windows, except faster, since even the bloated versions of Linux take less resources and are faster.

To be honest, if you are not too computer Savvy, I would suggest staying with Windows. Get familiar with things there, and then move across to Linux. Also, the worst thing you can do is pick a popular flavor of linux because you get told to. Buy a 50 pack of DVDs, spend a week or two downloading a wide selection, and run them as a LIVE disk. Pick this way what you want to use. Not this or that because everyone else has it.

There are in excess of 300 different major flavors with a variety of goals in mind, and types of interface. Find one you like the feel of and learn on that. When it comes down to it, you take the graphical interface (GUI) away strip away the added in software, and you find that ALL Linux are the same. Dont let anyone tell you different. IT is only how they get customized that sets them apart.

Personally I hate Ubuntu and the other *buntu's. I like Vector Linux, Puppy Linux, and a few other ones that were listed as "harder to use" or "advanced". For me the "beginners" versions were harder to use and get used to. If I went by what everyone else said, I would have despised using Linux. Now I rather enjoy it. I may not be a super user on it, but I can do a majority of what I need with little problems.

I am not sure there is necessarily any one program for Linux for web design that stands out over others. I honestly have not tried any of them.

Learning HTML

Try this link it is where I started.
    http://www.w3schools.com/

Also, use the view source of any page design you like. If it is down in HTML, you can look how it was designed.

Also, if you are unsure how to use an element, this may sound stupid, but type it into google.com. It will provide you a variety of tutorials and how-to's.

EXAMPLE: "Using <table> in HTML" or "creating tables in HTML"

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I wanted to comment on your "extra text" that front page and the like uses. Sometimes that extra text is the proper way of doing it and makes it render better in non standard browsers, yes it happens people do use em. Not saying all or even most of the code added is useful, but it does happen.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Nibblesdacat, it would have been better to start a new thread rather than to answer something to a thread from 2003, yikes! You are talking to someone who joined one day, posted the next and never returned in over 6 years.

9. Nibblesdacat

Nibblesdacat Private E-2

Many times this "extra text" also makes a page alot heavier than if manually coded. It also makes it extremely time consuming to edit manually or with another program.

10. Nibblesdacat

Nibblesdacat Private E-2

Yes well it is there, and was too lazy to start one :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds