Linux/ Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gaskarthfan, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

I bought a Toshiba Portege with Ubuntu Linux software. My dad has the same computer but with Windows Vista. Would the recovery disk that he bought work and convert to Windows Vista with the factory settings for my computer? There shouldn't be a problem with it, right?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

There is the licensing issue.

3. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

What about it?..

4. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

I forgot to mention that both my laptop and my dad's have a sticker on the surface that shows that it's supposed to be a Windows Vista system.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Then It won't hurt to try.

Go to the Toshiba website and get the latest drivers and be prepared to update it ASAP as Vista didn't come into it's own until the SP1 update.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your Dad's Vista won't work on your computer because it's license is for ONE CPU. It can't be installed on two computers.

7. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

So if I go on the site he got it from, get another disk, it would work?
    Would I have any problems converting systems? Cause Linux keeps showing error and wants me to fix the error manually. And I know nothing about Linux.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As has been said, give your Dad's disk a try first. Using the key from your sticker it just might work, and if it doesn't then try with your Dad's key. Someone originally paid for a Vista licence on that computer so I don't think you would be abusing the licence. Of course, as it's a recovery disk it might not work at all, but try it.

9. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

What would happen if it doesn't work?

10. Earthling

It may just decline to run at all, or it may try to run but not succeed. If it tries and fails it will probably destroy your Ubuntu system but that would be easily replaced providing you have access to another working computer.

11. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

If it fails, how would we use another computer? We don't own another computer with the Ubuntu system, and would much rather get rid of Ubuntu all together since there's an error in it and wants us to fix the error manually and we know nothing about the system to fix it.

12. Earthling

It doesn't sound like there is a lot to lose if Ubuntu does get destroyed but you can use any working computer to freely download the Ubuntu installation ISO and burn it to CD. You would then boot the crippled machine with the CD and reinstall Ubuntu. You could also do the same with any other version of Linux.

Other than that it's a case of purchasing a Windows Vista installation disk. There should be some on Ebay.

13. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

Wouldn't that just be the recovery disk installation cd? And what's a trusted site to download the Ubuntu installation ISO to burn on the cd?

14. Earthling

No, you can buy OEM versions which are full installation disks that you can only install to a single machine.

Ubuntu is HERE

15. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

Where can I find the installation disk?

16. Earthling

Sorry, don't know what you mean.

17. Gaskarthfan

Gaskarthfan Private E-2

The Windows Vista installation cd?

18. Earthling

As I said before, look on Ebay

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds