Win 10 and VMware Player

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've installed the latest tech preview in VMware Player plus VMware Tools but unlike all my previous VMs the ability to stretch the VM window at will isn't working. The only way I can get a decent sized and proportioned window seems to be by adjusting the Win 10 desktop screen resolution, often resulting in having to use a vertical scroll bar to see all of the desktop.

I guess it's because VMware needs updating for 10 but are others having the same experience? The host is Win 7 x64

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can you not run full screen? Other than that I can't help, I had to upgrade to workstation 11 to get it to install vmware tools properly. Now it runs like a champ. Left monitor is windows 8.1.1 right is version 10. Almost like having two computers side by side.

3. Earthling

Going fullscreen just results in black space being added, the Win 10 desktop itself doesn't change. It's like Tools isn't installed at all. I've just checked the first release and there it's OK so I guess Tools has not installed correctly, and in fact Tools did not install automatically as it should and I had to install it from the command line.

I'll start again I think.

4. Earthling

Set it up again from scratch with same outcome. Something has changed in the latest version of Win 10 Tech Preview and it will not now display as it should in WMware Player 7. It's usable though if you can find a screen res that is satisfactory on your screen - big enough and without scroll bars.

5. Earthling

Does anyone who ran the first release of the technical preview still have the product key?

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Is this vmware player or vmware player pro? I can't find the non pro version. Do you have a link? I've tried majorgeeks, but it points to the pro version. Sadly I can't install the pro version, since it wants to uninstall the workstation version. I could .... try something. Install vmware pro within workstation, then install 10 on that, move to my 1600p screen and check out resolution.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. Earthling

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I may have proof that it does work, but I had to cheat a bit to get vmware player to run. I installed windows 10 on vmware workstation 11. Then install vmware player on windows 10, then installed windows 10 in vmware player. Got the tools installed and changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080.

http://i.imgur.com/UjRsAAg.jpg

Couldn't attach it here since the file size was to big.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

10. Earthling

I can change the resolution in 10 and that changes the size of the desktop but there isn't an available one that fits my screen well. When Tools is working correctly you can drag the edges or the bottom right corner to whatever size and aspect ratio you want. I can do that in the first release of 10 but not in the second.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds