DST Short Status Test Failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tanger, Nov 9, 2007.

1. tanger

tanger Private E-2

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 and it froze on me yesterday. I came to my laptop in the afternoon and it was frozen. I restarted and it took a lot longer than usual to restart but my internet was not working. Everything else was working fine except for the internet. I was getting a "Limited or no connectivity" message from windows.

I ran the diagnostics and it failed the DST Short Status Test (Error Code: 1000-0142, Msg: Unit 4: Drive Self Test Failed, Status Byte = 79)

Does this mean that my HDD is dead?
    This doesnt seem right because I just bought a new HDD in september this summer.

What is going on with my laptop?
    Any help is appreciate, thanks!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this on the Dell site:
    So I suspect it means that your hard drive is going unless the DST is not a very reliable test. I don't own a Dell, so I can't comment on the test's reliability.

3. tanger

tanger Private E-2

I ran SeaTools (a Seagate diagnostics utility) and it also told me that the DST test failed. I am really shocked because this HDD is less than 3 months old.

Is it possible that something is causing my HDD to fail?

4. matt_h76

matt_h76 Private E-2

My gf also has a Dell Inspiron and it has had a lot of errors, one just like yours a few times. I have had to re-install Windows four times now as going through the recovery console didn't work. Getting a bit fed up with the reliability issues :(

However I did manage to resolve the last DST error using the recovery console.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds