Internet explorer - No connection to the internet is currently available

Discussion in 'Software' started by vifa84, Nov 25, 2005.

1. vifa84

vifa84 Private E-2

Hello,
    I am installing windows 2000 on a older friends computer and have it wired to my home dlink router. The problem is after it installs and I install all the drivers, when I click on internet explorer a window pops up saying there is no connection to the internet currently availbale work offline - try again. If I hit try again it connects up fine and then doesn't display that error again unless the computer is restarted. So every time you boot the computer up it gives that error until you hit try again and then it connects. Even though the network card shows it being connected upon boot. I have tried a different network card with the same results and have installed win2k 3 or 4 times all with the same result. There are no other network or modem cards installed, so never dial a connection is greyed out. I have also tried giving it a static ip address with same result.

Any help?

2. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

connection settings need to be automatic unless your dlink is static, if everything is autiomatic you need to set his tcp/ip addressing as automatic through the network adapter settings, also check internet explorer under tools / internet options / connections / (lan) settings set them to default and then after which close internet explorer, should see a detecting proxy settings, unless you need to repair the nic's connection again or restart computer. then you should be good.

you can also run type command then in command type ipconfig /release then

ipconfig /renew

if there is more than one adapter the commands have an extra /release_all and /renew_all which the ipconfig command willl tell you to use as it does not recognize which adapater you want to release or renew

3. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

by setting to default i mean automatic under connection settings also proxy you want to set automatic

4. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

erp never miind you should not have the option about proxy im a dunder head today

5. vifa84

vifa84 Private E-2

6. vifa84

vifa84 Private E-2

Just to update: I download firefox and it works fine. I can boot the computer and click on firefox and it works fine. But, this computer is for someone else and I don't want to tell them they have to use firefox or click on try again if they use ie. and I don't understand why ie does this on a brand new installation. Obiously it's in the ie settings/registry somewhere. The only other thing I can think of is, maybe my installation disk is bad. But I've installed win2k on other computers with this disk befoe with no problems.

hmm

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Hi,

What happens when you select File>Work Offline?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds