USB Root Hubs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rob M., Aug 27, 2006.

1. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

My motherboard's chipset (VIA KT400/VT82350) provides support for a total of 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the motherboard at the rear, and two at the front through a 7-pin header on the motherboard. (See my sig block below for other system details.)

The front USB ports have never worked (that I know of). I've had no problem with the rear ports. But in my investigation trying to figure out why the front ports don't work, I've discovered that the Device Manager in System Properties seems to show too many root hubs. See the attached pic for details.

Of the five root hubs shown, only USB 2.0 Root Hub shows VIA's drivers dated 2002. The other four are showing Microsoft's drivers from 1999.

Some questions:
    • How many root hubs should appear in the Device Manager?
    • Should I be looking somewhere else for clues as to why the front ports don't work?
    • If this needs fixing, what's the best way to go about it?

Attached Files:

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You could check BIOs but if the other onboard USB is enabled, I'd think they all would be. Are the front plugged into the MOBO correctly? Sometime they are difficult, they dont use a header and require you to plug each wire individually.

I know this is a generic response, but hope it helps a little.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Thanks, foogoo -- comments much appreciated. As it turns out, you were right about the motherboard connections -- I had reversed the USB+ and USB- connections for both front ports. That's fixed; the front case ports now work.

But I'm still interested in whatever comments you (or anyone) might want to offer concerning the number of root hubs shown in my Device Manager. My system has been a little flaky ever since I installed the last USB device (a SD card reader).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds