Cannot log in as root in konsole

Discussion in 'Software' started by Petaluma, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

I am running the latest ultimate kubuntu,I am able to update software and do other tasks that require root priveleges yet...when i go into konsole and do the su thing it gives me a pw prompt. I enter my pw and hit enter and am greeted with "authentication failure-sorry" and returned to my user prompt

Am i missing something ?

My root pw is correct and the same as my user pw--so i know that is correct

confused or am I just completely missing something.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I dont think you want su.

Su requires the root password, not yours.

Try sudo "command"

then enter your account password.

I recall reading that the 'buntus used sudo over su.

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

The command you want is kdesu at times, and at other times sudo

sudo bash
    enter password

will enter a root terminal.

What version of Kubuntu are you toying with?

4. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Yup thanks guys the sudo bash(but oddly , sudo just gave me the same error) command worked perfectly--now i am root.

Now off to install that vid card. :D

@BoredOutOfMyMind--That would be the one right before feisty(sorry cannot remember version #) I like to experiment with different distros so it might be diff next week--Although I really do like kubuntu and have found its stablility/ease of use superior --even installed it on my moms pc when i went home on vacation and she loves it.

Thanks again

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

That would be Edge. Google the name of the video card and you will find someone has a howto.

Be prepared to have some problems and sudo reconfigure xserver-xorg may be a needed command.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds