how to get into root console

Discussion in 'Software' started by virus456, Feb 14, 2008.

1. virus456

virus456 Private E-2

how do u get into the root console in fedora 6? how do u do it when u cant login? because we cant even log in.

we have tried this one vga cmd but our screen just started blinking

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. Poltergiest

Poltergiest Private E-2

you search for it on google jon.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you dont know the answer, then DO NOT reply, the tech areas of Majorgeeks are for serious help and assitance not a playground.

Please read

Further posts like this will be deleted.

Cheers.

4. Poltergiest

Poltergiest Private E-2

i wasnt trying to start anything.Virus is one of my guildies..I didnt mean to go against the forums rules or Admins.I apologize

5. adm1329

adm1329 Private E-2

It's been a while since I've had to do this. But I think this will work.

just fire up the machine, then at the Grub bootloader screen, select the option to edit the boot line and put a 1 at the end of it. This will load the OS to run level 1 and drop you to a root shell without requesting any login credentials. At this point you can simply use passwd to change the root user's password.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds