restoring files from MS backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by kiat, May 21, 2008.

1. kiat

kiat Private E-2

Hi,

I recently had to replace a dead hard drive and for once in my life I had a backup. Hold applause.
    I've reinstalled windows and restored the backup files (.bkf) using the windows restore wizard. Problem is...none of my settings are as they should be, OE store folder is wrong, desktop and other settings are nowhere. Clearly - I did the backup wrong in the first place...but is there a clever way to fix this now???

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Is there a possibility you have more than one user ID and the backup has been restored there? Check how many users there are on your system and check each one to see if your settings are in one of the user's profiles.

It's quite probable that OE has set up a new store folder for you and your mail is elsewhere - it uses a new folder for each identity in the Identities folder which is normally here: C:\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Identities. By looking at this link, you might be able to work out if that's so and set it up as you want: How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data - a word of warning, though: make sure it's backed up somewhere sensible like your desktop before you try any of this; get the steps wrong and you'll wipe out all your emails and MS doesn't warn you about that.

If you find it playing up afterwards, try this link: An Outlook Express basic repair kit

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds