:"limited or no conectivity" with 1 PC but other on router works fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mickdddddd, Feb 7, 2006.

1. mickdddddd

mickdddddd Private E-2

I've got an imac, laser printer, adsl modem and window XP laptop hooked up to a router. It was all working fine, then I let someone use the laptop.

The laptop was used by someone else at a different place for a couple of days and now is saying the the LAN has "limited or no conectivity"

I've tried different cables and switching the imac and laptop, it's definately something to do with the laptop, everything else still works fine. The imac connection still works fine.

There definately no proxy set in IE/tools. The IP and DNS is set to find automatically.

IT give me the option to "repair" the "local area connection". When I do that it tries to "renew my IP address" but fails every time.

ANY IDEAS, PLEASE HELP.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks mickdddddd,

Couple things you can try.
    Reboot everything in sequence to see if the laptop picks up an IP address.
    Check the Windows firewall setting. If the person did a wizard connection at the other location, that gets turned on by default I believe.
    If you have a third party firewall, check to see if networking config got taken off your default setting for your home network.
    Post back if that does not get you connected.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds