Linux Laptop Lamentations

Discussion in 'Software' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I have an 5 yr old Uniwill n341C aka known as a Genicom Webboy and aka other names around the globe. I have acquired a 20 GB laptop drive from a dead Compaq, so decided to try Linux on the Laptop.

specs-
    AMD Athlon XP 1700 processor
    14.1 screen
    256 K RAM
    DVD/CD Combo drive
    USB
    Ethernet
    Winmodem
    Sound

I tried Kubuntu Live- it stalled too little memory for the ram disk.
    Same Story with Suse 10.2
    Knoppix did not load
    Gentoo loaded but I don't want Gnome, I prefer KDE and it was not fully set up for Network.
    So I start again with Suse 10.2 and do the text mode (shift + Enter at fail point). TWICE it gets to 99% and then said "db is missing from CD1"

I am downloading Xubuntu.... I will post what I find hopefully from the lappy.

:major

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Got PCLOS (KDE) to run on a Win 98 machine with 256 of RAM, 300 Mhz Intel processor, 6GB HDD, using 1GB flash drive for Linux Swap. It also detected and used a usb wireless connection. The Yamaha on board sound is shot, although its driver was available for installation. PCLOS didn't detect the ES1868 sound card I canned from a from a Win 95 machine while Windows XP did. Booted with acpi=off and that solved problems.
    PCLOS uses GRUB as the boot loader so if the Linux partitions are deleted WIndows won't boot on its own. Tried the Ubuntu distros but thought Suse 10.2 was superior ( loaded with 3 CD's). Using ibiblio as the Synaptic repository as Indiana is down a lot. Good luck with your Linux OS, I am thinkng about a dual boot with Suse/Win XP Pro on the laptop. Using PCLOS/XP Home on an older desktop for now.
    Bug

3. w0ts0n

w0ts0n Private E-2

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

Thanks for the suggestions. I had Gentoo on the box, so Xubuntu loaded. Then command line install Kubuntu, and then same to remove Xubuntu. Finally install KDE-CORE and remove Kubuntu-Desktop. This lappy is a dinosaur....maybe time to think of Santa for a new one....

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

While working with the laptop, the lid is cracked..... sigh. Now I get to play with plastic welder and maybe hack it up with aluminum rails to reinforce it...

It was working great with KDE until I disassembled the screen to work on the shell.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds