Can't access some web sites

Discussion in 'Software' started by Peterd, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

I am running XP, AVG, Outpost Firewall Pro. I can access all sites except those for Spybot S&D - www.safer-networking.org & www.spybot.info - I get the response 'cannot find the server'. I have tried disabling the firewall and antivirus but it made no difference. It was suggested that I install IE7 which I have done but again no difference. Has anyone got any idea as to why I cannot access these 2 sites.

As an aside on some sites I get [AD] instead of presumably a picture. Why? A new problem since installing iE7 is that when I access http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/ and then access the map it should show the grid reference in the bottom left corner for where the cross-hairs of the mouse are. In IE6 it did so but in IE7 I just get 'done'.

I have run AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot & Windows Defender but there are no apparent problems.

2. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

Check the Hosts file and see if the site is blocked there. (search for hosts on your computer). It may also be listed in the Restricted Sites in IE.

3. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

Not sure what I am looking for in the hosts file. I have 2 hosts files: hosts and lmhosts. I attach the txt files for both. I have looked at IE>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites and have cleared all sites mentioned, although the problem ones don't appear. I also attach an HJT log in case this is relevant. I perhaps should mention, although I don't think it is relevant to the IE problem, that I am also having problems with my firewall Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro which does not always load on boot up. I have sent the error log to Agnitum but wait to hear from their developers. I have also tried reinstalling but the problem still occurs.

Attached Files:

4. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

Your hosts files are fine. I also do not see anything of note in your hijack log either.

It is possible that your firewall is blocking the spybot sites.

When exactly did you start being unable to access?

Have you tried a different browser? Opera/Firefox/etc?

Try uninstalling your software firewall. If you have a hardware firewall/router check and see if its blocking too.

5. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

I have tried Firefox but still can't access the Spybot sites. I have disabled the firewall but it makes no difference. I have now uninstalled the firewall software but still no joy. I have a broadband modem not a router. The problem started a few weeks ago, but I can't remember exactly when.

6. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

OK click Start -> Run - and type cmd and press enter or click ok. In the DOS shell, type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.

Type ping www.safer-networking.org and press enter.

What is the result?

7. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

Flushed dns cache successfully. Tried ping and got "Ping request could not find host www.safer-networking.org. Please check the name and try again." I assume there was a space between 'ping' and 'www.safer-networking.org?

8. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

OK, this time open your browser and try the following:

http://87.106.8.215/spybot/

Your computer is hooked up directly to a broadband modem and there is no firewall? What is the brand and model?

Try temporarily disabling your XP firewall.

Did you change from another antivirus app recently? If so, which one?

9. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

Hurray! I was able to access http://87.106.8.215/spybot/. I reinstalled the Outpost Firewall Pro software after finding that uninstalling it or disabling it made no diference. The XP firewall is disabled. I have only enabled it when the Outpost firewall was disabled or uninstalled. The modem is a Thomson Speedtouch model. No change to my anti-virus. I have been using AVG Free for years. Incidentally, I see that this is being discontinued in January.

10. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

try going to https://www.stupidcensorship.com to circumnavagate any thing that could be blocking the site. Note it is slower.

11. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Are you on proxy or proxy services like anonymizer?

12. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

I don't think so, although I am not too sure what they are. How I would recognise them.

13. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

Sorry for the long delay (been busy with three jobs).

If you can access the spybot site using the ip address that means something is blocking the DNS for the site. I'd guess you have malware that specifically targets Spybot.

You might want to try accessing some of the other anti malware sites for adaware, counterspy, spyware doctor, and so forth and see if any of those are blocked too.

Regarding the earlier post about proxy - open your Internet Explorer Internet Options, select Connections, and LAN Settings. Is anything listed under Proxy Server?

14. Peterd

Peterd Private E-2

To solve this and other problems I decided to reformat my hard disk today. I can now access Spybot!! Thanks for all your help.

15. db cooper

db cooper Private E-2

I'm computer ignorant for the most part and dont understand a majority of what was said up above, but i also just installed Outpost Firewall, and now I can't seem to access any site I try.. my homepage is set to google, and it doesn't even come up.. also, my Outpost help file (F1) doesnt work..

i may really turn out to be a pest here, i have a feeling i will have tons of questions now that i've found this place..

edited to add - should i uninstall it and install ZoneAlarm instead? I noticed it seems to be popular in another thread i read here..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds