How do I dry out a keyboard and laptop?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starrekin61, Nov 6, 2011.

1. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Hi. I feel like an idiot, but... accidentally spilled something on a wireless keyboard. :-o unfortunately, onboard keyboard to laptop is not installed (problems using it).
    How do I dry them out? Are they salvageable?
    Please help - any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

i should have added that it's the keyboard that took the brunt of the spill - laptop is fine. a few drops went by the exposed fan and maybe the keyboard connector- not sure. i know - not good, but --- it turns on, boots, acting normally. using a blow dryer on keyboard now.
    thanx again.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You spilled "something"? Knowing what that "something" is what makes a difference. If just plain water, I would immediately turn it upside down and remove the batteries. Then blast a desk fan on it and let it be for a couple days.

If "something" was a glass of milk or lemonade or soda, then it would probably need to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Great advise...

A good cleaning agent, Isoprophol alcohol, 91% or higher is best for quicker evaporation
    Must be completely dry before powering up due to flammability:major

some compressed air can help too...

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Do a Search on <your make and model laptop> +manual might help if you have to disassemble it.

As a last resort you might be able to buy same make and model laptop with a broken screen, or similar, from eBay at the right price.

Bazza

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

A bigbzza says, get a manual, if you can- However, it is usually easy to get a replacement keyboard on laptops, and depending on the make, and model, it willbe
    A thin strip at the top of the keyborad that will unclip with the aid of something like a guiter plectrum, and then two screws at the top of the keyboard (usually covered by that strip)
    Otherwise underneath the laptop, there is sometimes one, or, two scrws that need to be removed , also/alternatively.
    A manual will show the this- or, on-line, there are sites to show you the general method.
    This is a useful site
    http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2011/08/17/fix-laptop-after-liquid-spill/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

While Isopropyl alcohol can speed up evaporation of water and water based liquids, it is a solvent and can dissolve some plastics and resins. So it is good on metals (like CPU dies and heatsinks), but I would not recommend it on other materials without testing on non-critical areas first.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks baklogic, for the link.:major
    I've bookmarked it for my future reference. :cool

Some other info that may prove useful in future, at that link, particularly as I am a Toshiba fan. :)
    Bazza

===

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

We used to use chilled Freon in the 80's in a sonic bath to get the flux off the boards from the wave soldering machine but of course that's banned now. I wonder what is used these days? I'm curious.;) Excellent cleaner though!

10. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the liquid is not sticky (like soda or soup), another trick is to buy a canister of "Damp Rid" moisture absorber (about $4 in the paint section of Ace, Lowe's or Home Depot).

Place the canister of Damp Rid upright in a garbage bag on a table or flat surface, place the wet items in it and seal the bag for a few days. If it is a notebook PC or something that has vents on the bottom, place the item on a ventilated rack (such as a cake cooling rack, similar to an oven rack) so the moisture can be sucked out from all sides. Also, be sure to remove the battery.

No guarantees; however I like this method best since it doesn't involve putting any other liquids or chemicals on the device.

11. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions. I dried it out, thought i had cleaned contacts. i did not open it up all the way however.

The liquid in question was a glass of red wine - which after drowning the keyboard (usb) which was not quite on top of laptop - although it is open awaiting a new keyboard - a few tiny drops splashed onto the laptop and by the fan. that's it.

i left it alone for a few days after cleaning it and drying it out. Keyboard works fine.

Laptop however, is only running off battery power and does not register being plugged in or charging. when i remove battery, i get nothing.

what do i try now?:cry

thanks for the help.

12. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions. I dried it out, thought i had cleaned contacts. i did not open it up all the way however.

The liquid in question was a glass of red wine - which after drowning the keyboard (usb) which was not quite on top of laptop - although it is open awaiting a new keyboard - a few tiny drops splashed onto the laptop and by the fan. that's it.

i left it alone for a few days after cleaning it and drying it out. Keyboard works fine.

Laptop however, is only running off battery power and does not register being plugged in or charging. when i remove battery, i get nothing.

what do i try now?:cry

thanks for the help.

p.s. according to ubnutu - the battery is charging (from 14 to 23%) since i've booted it up and have been writing this post.

sorry about the double post - not a good day today. thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, I have been away, so just saw your update- the problem with wine is that it sticks!
    The only way I have overcome this sort of problem is by stripping down, and cleaning.
    I usually use a very small paintbrush, and , personally, I use nail polish remover, if I have no Isopropyl alcohol based solution, but use very little, and wipe it off immediately- as Digerati said- it can dissolve some plastics and resins - I tend to dip the tiny brush in to it, and then rub excess off on some clean A4 paper then - almost dry- use it carefully whe I can see the liquid stain, wiping straight off with an old cotton handkercheif.
    Look at that site, http://www.laptoprepair101.com/lapto...-liquid-spill/ or, get a dismantling manual if you are unsure before even attempting it, or,ask a local repairer(not the big shops,as I find they have few knowledgable enough to do it, tell you you need a new motherboard, or will send it away and charge £75 , or, more- if you have stripped it, god knows how much if its still complete.
    If it is charging, you will know as it will start o.k with the charger connected,or, disconnected- if it is not charging you will find the battery warning, and subsequence shutdown happening.
    The sticky problem with wine, may be shorting out a tiny solderflow, and stopping correct charing, or, inforation through to windows, as Ubunto shows it charging.
    If you take antistatic precautions, and have a little dish handu whrn stripping, take a photo before mremoving any screws (I tend to use my mobile, and bluetooth to another pc, so that I know where the screws go when putting back together- Take a picture, before removing base, or, top, screen, and motherboard, and of cpu and fan.
    If you are very careful, and take your time, you will find it much easier than it seems.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds