opening archived pst file in outlook or outlook express

Discussion in 'Software' started by thomas_thieme, Dec 16, 2006.

1. thomas_thieme

thomas_thieme Private E-2

I have my old Outlook emails archived in a pst file. After a crash I had to reinstall XP and SP2. When I now try to import my old emails into reinstalled Outlook or Outlook Express from this pst file, a message pops up saying I do not have permission to do this. The MS website talks about having to use the right "identity". How do I change identities? :eek:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. thomas_thieme

Thank you for your help Halo. I am sure it is the right track. But I started the computer in safe mode as your link suggested. I logged on either with my account name (which is listed as "computer administrator"), or as "administrator". The "administrtor " logon produced fewer icons in the final safe-mode windows screen. But in both cases my pst file only showed a "general" tab, not a "security" tab. I have Windows XP Home Edition and FAT 32 formatting on my hard drive. The pst file with my email archive had been on a CD, but I have now moved it to my hard drive. Without a security tab I cannot continue with the procedure in "How to take ownership of a file" (308421).:rolleyes:

4. DavidGP

ah OK Fat32.....

Try this;

Is the file read only? right click it and choose properties if Read Only is ticked untick it and try again using it.

Also as I 'm in forgetful mode today......... remember while in safe mode to goto Tools > Folder options and untick Simple File Sharing > apply and see if the Security Tab is their.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  5. thomas_thieme

Thanks again for trying Halo. I had actually unchecked the "display simple file sharing while in Explorer..." when I was in safe mode before. Forgot to mention it. I have just tried unchecking "Read only" on the pst file (while in normal mode) but the security tab did not appear, even after a reboot. None of the boxes are now checked, neither "read only", "hidden", nor "archive".:confused:

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Security tab is only for NTFS driver, NOT fat32. :)

7. DavidGP

I can only think of having to convert Fat32 to NTFS to access that .pst for Thomas, what you think.. because I'm out of ideas, if the OS cannot access it and is saying you dont have permissions to access this file?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds