Hard Drive wants to be formatted, much to my chagrin.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nearvana, Feb 18, 2008.

1. nearvana

nearvana Private E-2

The disk in drive C is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?

I get that message when I try to access the drive (E is my operating system drive)

I can still access files through some programs (I'm listening to music from it in itunes now, for example)

It's true I should format the drive, but I would really like the files on the drive before I do so. I have an external I can switch the files to, any suggestions on how I would go about doing this?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You should be able to just copy the files to the external drive, like you would to a usb flash drive. Itunes needs to have the whole folder copied from within My Documents, if that was your default when you set up iTunes - then any seperate folders. CLICK TO SHOW ALL FILES, BEFORE COPYING, IN FOLDER OPTION

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Be sure to check that they work, from the external drive, before formatting your C: Drive, in case you have problems, as iTunes can be awkward, without all its files.

4. nearvana

nearvana Private E-2

That's the thing, when I go to double click the drive to open it, I get the message of it needing to be formatted.

I'm not so much concerned with iTunes, I'm just using it as an example that the files on the drive are still good, I simply can't directly access the drive.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried start, right click my computer, click manage, click disk management, right click the drive, click explore, then copy, and pate to a backup folder/drive.
    You can also run chkdsk /r from there , and it could fix the problem.

6. nearvana

nearvana Private E-2

In disk management, when I right click the drive, it gives me the formatting notice again.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would download knoppix live cd, and burn it to cd, and then access the files through knppix, from the cd drive - it has copying facilities and can access an XP FOLDER TO COPY .

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds