Major Geeks saved my baby!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by leelogan, Sep 23, 2008.

1. leelogan

leelogan Private E-2

:)

i got a bit desperate and stoopid trying to download a Roswell episode and, quite predictably, picked up some nasties. i spent hours trying to fix it myself and managed to get my comp off deaths door ... but it was still infected.

i finally decided to come ask for help here and spent several hours more going through the "read and run me first" instructions and reading the hijack this tutorial. i diligently saved all my log files and took notes in anticipation of posting my "help" thread. i went off on a few tangents and damned near killed my comp again a few times ... :-D but then all of a sudden it was fixed and i don't need to post a help thread! yaay!

so this is a thankyou thread. thanx to Major Attitude whose thread was so invaluable to me ... and thanx to all the others here who give so selflessly.

regards

lee :)

2. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

Hi and welcome :wave

That's great that you followed nearly all of the procedure here for malware removal..but "nearly" being the operative word here...you didn't complete the part where you upload the 4 requested logs to the malware section when you make a new post....there the expert would have gone thru your logs with a fine toothcomb and would have been able to have given you an "all clear" at some point

often self help goes disasterously wrong, as you say yourself, you went off on a tangent a few times and almost screwed up, so do consider completeing the process here for full peace of mind that your machine is nasty free :)

Enjoy the forums
    Emms

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted. You should probably post your logs in the malware forum just to make sure you got it all. You don't want to have to go through the Read and Run me again something has been left hidden, just waiting to return.

Also, welcom to MGs. :)

4. leelogan

leelogan Private E-2

first off ... hi and thanx for the replies. :)

secondly ... after a few hours of being seemingly in the clear i went and deleted everything that might have been any use and did whatever i thought might clean up the mess that cleaning had made. i'm guessing now that was another big 'oops' ... rolleyes :-D

that's good advice though. i will figure out what needs to be posted/shown and re-run the relevant scans to post results for. i'll have to do it tomorrow or the next day though. i kinda been up all night working on this ... now i'm taking a break and going to play! :)

5. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

some of the programs could have been updated anyway since last time you did this so as you say work your way thru it again, it will be worth it :)

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

And just to make a small correction...the Read and Run FIrst needs to be credited to Chaslang. :)

7. leelogan

leelogan Private E-2

oh

sorry chaslang.

gosh ... peace everyone. :)

8. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Welcome to MajorGeeks Leelogan, just the title of this thread gave Major Attitude and Chaslang a chuckle I'm sure, it did me. There's a lot of good reading here by both authors and it will help keep your baby safe.

9. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

The cake crumbs are credited to TimWLOL

10. hyas lee glad to hear that MGs saved your baby.....Iv had help plenty of times and all of it has been spot on as long as youre prepared to wait patiently;and ask questions....All the best............
    happy putering.........:wave........

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds