malware/spyware got me here.

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by louieb2, Oct 1, 2008.

1. louieb2

louieb2 Private E-2

Wife's laptop running Vista home premium background image changed to a screen shot of a waring about having a virus. I've spent the day going over the malware / spyware removal thread. She installed a coupon printing program and got a little more that she bargained for.

Thanks to the information here think the rogue program has been removed.

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

gday louieb2 welcome to majorgeeks if you are unsure you have rid your computer of everything post your logs in the malware section and someone will look them over

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

Yes, you would be advised to post the logs in the malware forum.

There might be leftovers that will need cleaned up..

4. aag100379

aag100379 Private E-2

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

6. louieb2

louieb2 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply's. Think the problem has been removed. But have posted the log files in the malware forum..

7. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

a warm welcome to new arrivals :wave

8. ciko

ciko Private E-2

hi everybody! I'm new here and i got probz with lapdotcom, can anybody help me?

9. Doc13%

a warm welcome ciko :wave

if your machine is infected please read thru all of the "Read and run me first" and follow the correct procedure for your operating system, download the necessary tools and upload the 4 requested logs into a new post here, do NOT upload your logs to this section as this is just the welcome area

The four logs you will be uploading to your new post in the malware section will be as follows

• malware bytes
    • combofix
    • superantispyware
    • MGTools.zip

best of luck
    Emms

10. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

That's MGlogs.zip Emma. ;)

11. iwunderdownunder

gday again louieb2 have notice no one has answered to your logs in the malware section as they are fairly busy they may have been over looked i had a look through them and noticed a few entries for symantec antivirus and firewall along with avast antivirus if you are running two antivirus software this will cause a conflict and you wont be properly protected if you have already uninstalled nortons there still some entries showing i suggest you use this tool to completely remove these entries from your computer http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html then use a registry cleaner like ccleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_d5125.html to remove any leftover entries also you may have to uninstall avast and do a clean install to ensure you have the right protection

12. louieb2

louieb2 Private E-2

Howdy iwunderdownunder. Norton came with the machine. But some time ago I uninstalled it and put on avast. avast is the only av it running.

I see chaslang has replied to the malware thread. I'll go through it and your advice then post my logs back there. Pobably won't be till Monday Texas time till I can get to it.

13. Doc13%

:eek: my apologies, I had an "emma" moment

14. iwunderdownunder

gday again louieb2 good to see that they have caught up to you hopefully they will have you malware issues sorted chaslang is awesome at sifting through these issues once you have them sorted i also noticed that there was only a entry for the nortons firewall if you haven't got a decent firewall on board here are a few suggestions " http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html "or " http://www.majorgeeks.com/PC_Tools_Firewall_Plus_d5470.html " but just let chaslang get you sorted first.any way glad to be of help and a big gday form Australia have a good weekend

15. :confusedHi,
    I need PROFESSIONAL advice about antimalware programs. I'm new to Vista and my daughter's computer got really screwed up and wouldn't work right for a year. Dell states, "you can only have one antispyware or antivirus program running on Vista 32 bit or you'll have compatability issues." The computer always locked up.

I have always had numerous programs available Spybot S&D, spyware blaster, adaware and norton internet security, norton antivirus (always current) running as well as webroot spy sweeper installed and available on XP PCs. I know Norton is a memory hog and have switched to comcast's free mcafee security center and now have another Vista computer. Am I TRULY only limited to ONE antimalware program or was that a pat answer from Dell for both my daughter's and my computers???

Thank you in advance for considering and responding to my problem. This site ROCKS!

Marcel

Please help- you guys are the best. I've read and searched your forums but can't find this addressed anywhere. I saw the part about scanning the PC with various programs in regards to Vista but am still confused by the conflicting info from Dell.

16. iwunderdownunder

gday marcel firstly welcome to majorgeeks secondly you should start your own post in the software section to save confusion for others and louieb2 who started this post it will make it easier for others to assist you with your inquiries

17. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds