Outlook Express vs. Microsoft Office Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2kflhr, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Did a seach but could not find the answer I was looking for.

I currently use Outlook Express for mail. I just loaded Office Pro 2003 and it has Microsoft Office Outlook....

What is the difference?

What do you prefer?

Thanks for any and all replies.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Quick very rough description of each is....

Outlook Express ~ Cut down simple version of Outlook, very easy to get used to and all it does is email and does it pretty well too IMHUMBLEO

Outlook ~ Full featured email and personal info manager, not only gives you email but keeps track of your daily diary/tasks etc in its calendar

I use OE at home and Outlook in work, both work well for me.

some links may be worth reading
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011169051033.aspx
    http://www.communicateusingtechnology.com/articles/outlook_vs_express.htm

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Outlook Express is just an e-mail client/newsreader; were as Outlook is an integrated application that contains an email client, calendar, task manager, and address book. I don't like either application all that much; however Outlook is better if you want something more than just an email client. If you can be persuaded Mozilla Thunderbird, IMO, is a much better email client.

[EDIT] Halo's explanation is much simpler.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Oh dear.. yours does not work for me, how strange ;)

6. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

The differences listed above are perfect. I *prefer* Outlook because of its detailed address book and the calendar -If you wouldn't use these features then you'd probably be more than happy with Outlook Express.
    yours,

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yeah, yeah! [​IMG]

8. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Thanks guys. I'm just simply looking for an e-mail client at home. I'm going to keep using OE. I use Lotus Notes at work.

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I refuse to use Thunderbird until the idiot devs make a mailbox export function. It's like the assume their users never want to backup their mail or access their old mailbox from a different mail program or need to transfer their mailbox to a new system.

I still think their solution for "I need to get my Thunderbird mail into Outlook" is to dril down into the profile directory, manually copy the files relating to *one* of your mail folders to a temp dir, rename the extention, import them into Eudora, and then Export them into Outlook format. Then do that for every folder in every account you have. Yeah, that's a good way to show users how FOSS can make easy to use and powerful software that cometes with proprietary software: make nigh proprietary mailbox formats!

The sheer stupidity of leaving out this vital feature has caused me to boycott Thunderbird entirely.

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Outlook and Outlook Express don't export to other mail formats either. Well OE will export to Exchange.

11. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Yeah, but they export to something. Thunderbird doesn't even do that. Their only solution is to copy data files from the profile directory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds