FIREFOX and PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jaymes, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Jaymes

Jaymes Private E-2

Can anyone give me any suggestions on downloading firefox is it worth it?
    Thanks
    Jaymes

Also
    Can anyone give me any infomation on free things to download to make my pc run faster
    Thanks a lot :)

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Firefox is definitely worth it!

See this link to learn about its features.

Also, for tools to help speed your computer, I would recommend CCleaner from right here at Majorgeeks.

3. Jaymes

Jaymes Private E-2

4. Jaymes

Jaymes Private E-2

so whats the diffrence between internet explorer and firefox?

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

There's TONS of differences.

Firefox has a built-in popup blocker, whereas to have the same effect with IE, you would need a third-party application.

Firefox has built-in search engines. By default, it comes with Google, Yahoo, Amazon, and a few others. This is also extensible, which means you can add more. I, for example, have Webster's Dictionary and Wikkipedia installed. Internet Explorer again requires a third party application.

Firefox provides tabbed browsing, which allows you to open multiple pages in a single browser window. IE requires a new browser for each page.

Firefox supports live bookmarks. For example, I have BBC.com's bookmark. It contains all the days latest headlines, and updates automatically.

Firefox is completely customizible. There's TONS of extensions you can download to add unheard of functionality to your browser. I have IE Tab, which lets me use the IE engine to open pages in Firefox, as if I were viewing it in IE itself. (There's still pages designed specifically for IE)

I'm very happy with the security of FF. I have so little spyware as opposed to when I used IE, which makes my computing experience SO much better.

6. womfalcs7

womfalcs7 Private First Class

-Studies have shown that Firefox is better at evading spyware/virus threats with its enhanced "under the hood" security.
    -Extensions...They make your browser awesome. There are extensions that:
    *let you make PC to PC calls for free.
    *up to the minute weather along with a radar image.
    *Allow you to faster download files.
    *Further secure your browser.
    *Further customize your browser's UI and enhance the already included features.
    *Allow you to organize yourself with calendars.
    *and a ton of other things that you can browse through at http://addons.mozilla.com

- Themes... You can change your Firefox's default UI completely into personal feels, they're skins.
    -Faster
    -Customizable in a million ways..besides the ones listed above, you can go onto about:config and customize the settings to your need.
    -It's open-source...patches and update roll out faster and more often than IE.
    -Gecko, the rendering engine Firefox uses is the best all-around.
    -Bookmark (called favorites in IE) management is easy and enjoyable with F

7. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

Lately I have been using K-Melon browser, its very small, very fast, I believe it is the fastest. and is also a mozilla browser. It has alot of the same tweaks as FireFox, but is so much lighter. I think FireFox is a grreat alternative to IE.
    In fact, since I made the switch to K-meleon, I haven't used IE once. It has more bugs than Firefox, but only slight ones that you barely notice, I would say try it forsure, if thats not enough for you then FireFox it should be. Just take the time to get used to it and you will be hooked.

8. Jazagod

one of the nicest things about FireFox and K-Meleon is that its open source. I started building my first site ever lately and added k-meleon tweaks to it. Check it out at www.jazagod.tripod.com. although the tweaks are for K-Meleon they will work the same for FireFox as they use the same engine.
    Thats http://jazagod.tripod.com

9. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Firefox is foxy, like foxy. IE is not. Enough said.

Seriously, the parts I like the most are AdBlocker, Tabbing, and live bookmarks.

Very nice indeed!

IE Tab is a life saver for my school website, where I cannot use firefox.:)

10. Jazagod

K-meleon does that too.
    One thing that i have done, all pages and tabs appear on the bottom of the top of the browser. this lets me have my most important desktop items on my task bar using toolbar without clutter. such a nice user interface while doing things rather than having to goto desktop to do it!

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

While slightly off topic, I'll also vouch for k-meleon.

12. Jazagod

Yes sort of off topic, yet they are so close in similarities that i cant resist. especially older pc's should use K-meleon....Newer FireFox, unless you love K-Meleon already. Not enough people are using K-meleon right now, yet it is such a great browser. We have it here on majorgeeks! Sometimes smaller is better. I would like to see another update with this browser to give people without majorpc's to have a just an enjoyable time as people with pc's so that surfing is just as enjoyable.
    thanks for the vote...in a non chalant way :)

13. Jaymes

Jaymes Private E-2

Hey... so far
    I have installed firefox anc can say i agree with u all :D
    ...but some of my programs open links in IE is there anyway i can stop this , i have tryed configueing the programs but it dosent seem to work, or is there a way to unistall IE? thanks

14. womfalcs7

Control Panel > Add/remove > set default programs (or something to that regard) > set the browser, Firefox, as your default. applications should now open pages in FF...except for MSN Messenger.

15. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You CAN uninstall IE via the "Windows Components" section of add/remove programs, but the problem with that notion is that there are still sites designed specifically for IE, such as WINDOWS UPDATES, which is usually a site you want to visit often...

I'd try womfalcs7's suggestion, but firefox should ask you when it first launches whether or not you would like to make it your default browser. Also, if you Open Tools --> Options, on the general tab, there is a checkbox to make firefox check whether it is the default every time it runs.

16. Jaymes

Jaymes Private E-2

Msn messenger spaces is the one of the programs i need in firefox is there a way?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To add to uninstalling IE, its integrated into the OS. The option in add/remove programs removes shortcuts for it from ths system, but IE itself is still alive and present. Just wanted to clear that up.

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm... I've found MSN Spaces to be picky about Firefox (c'mooooon W3C standards!!!)

However, you can use the IETab extension to open an Internet Explorer window right in Firefox. This displays the spaces beautifully.

19. Jaymes

Jaymes Private E-2

Thanks alot guys youve help me soo much :D

20. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You can't really uninstall IE, nor should you, just leave it.

Also, you can have more than one browser if you want to try the others suggested.

Opera is very good and certainly worth a try.

21. I can view msn spaces perfectly fine with firefox or ie and that goes for my shiny new laptop and my old 600mHz dektop alike.
    -the new tech guy

22. womfalcs7

Yeah me too, the only thing I can't view are the Windows Media Player modules some Spaces have.

When I said MSN Messenger earlier, I meant to say that the IM client won't conform to the default settings, it'll keep using IE even if you have FF as your default.

23. Yes it will do that because it is from MS and they have that set up to use IE regardless of system settings. As for the windows media things not loading in firefox that is probably the thing with IE pages not playing nicely with firefox. You just gotta use IE for instances like that. If they dont load either way, you may need to download the latest version of windows media player.
    -the new tech guy

24. Jazagod

K-Meleon gets into .spaces as well. Like Insomniac says .....dont ever delete IE, It's crucial, and needed from time to time.
    By the way......Anything is possible!
    Or , possibly anything,
    I forget??

25. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Does it have all the security built in like Firefox says they have. I understand that k-meleon is a lot lighter than Firefox. Has it been around longer, is it open source?:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds