Changing motherboard without reinstalling Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Searinox, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Searinox

Searinox Private First Class

Changing the motherboard usually results in a BSOD at startup. My Vista is no exception.

On Windows XP it was possible to boot from the CD and pick "upgrade operating system", and select your current windows installation. Then it would re-install the core system files and add the appropriate motherboard drivers in the process while keeping your documents and programs untouched.

On Windows Vista you may not upgrade the OS unless you're running the DVD from INSIDE Windows, which is not possible because you're getting a BSOD when you try to boot in the first place!

Does anyone here know a method to upgrade Vista's drivers for the new motherboard via Vista DVD or any other 3rd party program so that I don't have to reinstall everything? I have already tried the "repair problems with windows startup" option and it didn't work.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From what I gather, its worth telephoning Microsoft, if your problem came about through a defective motherboard, although officially, it is not acceoted, because of the possibility of piracy.
    Apparently, Microsoft can be very reasonable and can re-activate an OEM licence for a motherboard that has been replaced due to hardware failure.
    Officially a Motherboard cannot be changed without a new License.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d-4123-9d0c-c80436181742/OSLicQA.doc

3. Searinox

Searinox Private First Class

1. My motherboard wasn't OEM.
    2. This isn't about the possibility to get a Windows license running on the new motherboard, it's about "migrating" the whole Windows onto the new motherboard without having to reinstall everything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds