Just built a computer, but it doesn't work:(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoolNamesTaken, Jul 12, 2005.

1. CoolNamesTaken

CoolNamesTaken Private E-2

As the title says, I just finished building a new computer.

MOBO: DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D
    PSU: AMD 3200 Venice w/stock Heatsink/Fan
    GFX: ASUS 6600GT PCI-E
    PSU: ANTEC TRUEPOWER 2.0

Now my problem is, it won't work, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I wore an anti-static(?) band while building it, so I don't think that I shorted anything. Basically, everything went smoothly.

So, I plug in my PSU and monitor into my powerstrip/surge protector, hit the power switch on the PSU, and then hit the power switch on the motherboard, but I got nothing. The BIOS didn't even load. The only life coming from my computer is the Stanby Power LED on my motherboard. When I flip the power switch on my PSU, the LED turns on, and when I flip the switch off, the LED turns off.

I've read through all of my manuals, which didn't really help with anything other than adding to my frustration. I also unplugged all of my peripheals and tried booting it, thinking that I had plugged something in the wrong spot, but that didn't work either.

I'm thinking that maybe I have a bad PSU or Motherboard. I'm hoping that someone here can help me, seeing as I don't want to have to order another Motherboard or PSU.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. CoolNamesTaken

EDIT: I have a single stick of CORSAIR XMS 1GB 3200.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Have you plugged the 12v atx power in and have yoiu tried resetting the cmos jumper?

4. Rikky

its a forum I wish everyone would jump in with idea's,that psu doesnt have a voltage switch its full range as are most modern psu's :)

5. CoolNamesTaken

Rikky;
    Yes, currently, the only thing plugged into my motherboard other than the gfx card, ram, cpu, audio module, and heatsink fan is the atx power connecter.
    I don't really know how to go about resetting the CMOS, so if you could give me a quick walkthrough that'd be great.

D3m3nt3d;
    No, I mean the toggle switch on the back of the PSU. The red slider switch is set at the lower setting, I believe it's 115. I have a voltmeter, but don't know how to test the PSU with it. The PSU instruction booklet says that I need to buy an ANTEC something or other to test the PSU. I can't try the PSU in another computer, because the other computer is a DELL, and it's so cramped inside of the case I can't get my fingers to where the ATX connector is.

6. Rikky

This one>

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. CoolNamesTaken

The manual has instructions for clearing the CMOS data, but I 'd like to know what exactly the CMOS is before I start fiddling around with jumpers.

8. Rikky

Hmm,all new antecs dont have voltage switch on them they auto detect the power 115/240 and switch.

To reset the cmos jumper first locate it on your motherboard as d3 said,you will either have a jumper or you will have to remove the battery for 20 secs.your mobo manual will show you where it is and should also tell you how to do it,unplug comp first though

9. Rikky

all it does is reset your mobo to fail safe default values,NO harm can be done

10. CoolNamesTaken

Nevermind, beat me to it.

11. Rikky

the bios is on read only memory,you lose any saved settings but not the bios,your manual WILL TELL YOU TO RESET IT BEFORE STARTING IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME

12. CoolNamesTaken

Ok, I just unplugged the power cord, and moved the jumper to reset the CMOS data. Now do I try turning on the computer with the jumper caps in the reset postition, or do I need to move them back to the default position before turning on the computer?

13. CoolNamesTaken

No. I've haven't even had the computer on yet.

14. Rikky

leave it there for a good 30 secs,put it back in the normal position,double check with the mobo diag,IT MUST BE PUT BACK or the mobo will be damaged

15. CoolNamesTaken

Ok, I just tried turning the computer on, but nothing happened. Not even a BIOS screen. Anything else that I can try?

16. Rikky

If you want to test the psu,remove it from the comp,bend a paperclip into a u shape,on the main mobo plug,stick one end in the hole with the green wire attached and the other end in amy o the black ones then put a testmeter on one of the molexes,the black probe on the black wire and the other in the yellow for 12v and the red for 5v.

17. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Have you checked to make sure your CPU fan is not installed backwards...that will cause it to not boot!! Also...I would STRONGLY recommend...with the power cord unplugged...remove the cmos battery from the motherboard for a good 2-3 minutes, to reset the bios!! Do not trust the jumper 100%!! I have heard SEVERAL stories, and experienced a couple of times, where the jumper doesn't do the trick!!!!! Also...is the auxilliary power plugged into the motherboard!!??

Roger

18. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Check to make sure the jumper is in the correct position. If it's got three pins, make sure it matches the numbers it's supposed to be on for the jumper. I had a Mobo that had to have the jumper moved over to start it the first time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds