connecting 2 computer to router=problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terriek, Feb 24, 2010.

1. terriek

terriek Private E-2

I too am new to this and am not seeing where to post, so I am going under post a reply....sorry if this is not correct..
    my problem is --- my main computer is up and running, i bought a router to add an addtl comp for my kids... that is also up and running, EXCEPT for no internet access--- it has 3 (?) connections and states LAN network cable unplugged, MSN explorer--disconnected, broadband connections-disconnected.. how do i get internet access to their computer..
    thank you
    terrie

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Terrie

What Windows versions are all the PCs using?

What is the make and model of the router you have bought?

The main PC is connected to the internet how? is it by an ethernet/network cable or wireless?

The additional PC have you plugged this into the router with an ethernet/network cable or connected by wirless, thats if the PC is wireless capable, many if not all Laptops are, desktops are not in the main Wireless, so need an ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports.

3. terriek

terriek Private E-2

my main computer is windows vista--comp i am adding is kinda old-it is windows xp pro
    the router i just bought yesterday --it is a netgear wireless-g router model wgr614
    my main pc is connected via cable and my 2nd comp is connected i through also cable
    (but i think ethernet--??)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds