CPU + thermal paste

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yoduh, Apr 12, 2005.

1. yoduh

yoduh Private E-2

i was told by a couple computer building guides that when applying thermal paste (arctic silver 5) i should apply it to the CPU, and use something like a credit card to spread it over the CPU.

but the arctic silver 5 instructions http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm
    say only put a dab of arctic silver 5 on the CPU, then install the heatsink. with no mentioning of spreading the paste over the CPU

should i go with the building guides, or the official instructions?

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I'm a spreader.

Most people tend to apply too much.
    Only need to be very thin layer( thin as paper maybe less), I spread so I can see it covers the cpu.
    Make sure you clean the cpu & heatsink, use Isopropyl Alcohol.
    Dont touch surfaces with your fingers, oils from fingers contaminates the artic silver lowering the cooling properties.

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It's usually not something you need to worry about too much. Ususally you just need a tiny amount. Although spreading it all over the chip just increases the contact area. Which in most cases doesn't make any diffrence but it might help cool it a bit. It just uses more thermal paste then needed, which is why the instructions tell you not to do it.

Just be careful. Artic silver does conduct. Some older CPU's will break if you spread it across solders. Most newer CPU's just have a single piece of metal or some entirely flat surface so it's not an issue anymore.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The thing to remember is the AS5 is no where near as conductive as the metal of the heatsink,so as little as possible should be used,it amazes me when they do tests and have clear winner,when the whole test depends on how well the stuff is applied. :confused:

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The thinner the coat the better, as long as it's an even coat and there are no uncoated areas.

As ASUS said, most people put way too much of the stuff on and it ends up having just the opposite effect.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds