Connecting another router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burbank, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Burbank

Burbank Private E-2

I already have a Dl524 working great on my dsl/desktop/vonage set up.
    Vonage forced a router on me when I subscribed so I got the WRTP54G wireless. (P stands for additional ports for analog phones.)

My question is , can I set the Linksys across the room and hook it into the network WIRELESSLY so that I can hook things up there like my x-box or am I going to be forced to run a hard wire to the new router?

Hate crawling under the darn house....... :confused:

Thanks,

Burbank

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Just replace the Di-524 with the Linksys. I have it and love it, no problems, and works all over my house. The WRTP54G is a WRT54G with the VoIP for Vonage in it. It will work with the XBox with no problems.

3. Burbank

Burbank Private E-2

re:
    Just replace the Di-524 with the Linksys. I have it and love it, no problems, and works all over my house. The WRTP54G is a WRT54G with the VoIP for Vonage in it. It will work with the XBox with no problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Top,
    I don't think I experessed myself accurately.

I want to add the new router across the room, keeping both routers and hook my 'other junk' over there, including the x-box, perhaps a networkable video player, file server.

The question is,,, can I do it connecting the two routers 'wireless' rather than
    having to 'hard wire' the second router to the first?

I know the Linksys works wired ( even though it does run a LOT hotter than the Dl-524 ) just would like not to have to get under the house to run that stupid cable..

Thanks,

Burbank

:(

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

In order to configure a network the way you would like it, you need a Wireless Router that can be configured as a Wireless Client, or can do WDS ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )

I doubt that the WRTP54G can (look at the manual).

:)

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Actually the WRTP54G runs cooler then the DLink. As for what you are doing, you are better off getting a A/P to replace the DLink if wishing to communicate wirelessly. Both routers have no ability to be A/P devices, so you will end up replacing the DLink.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds