Acer laptop wont boot from cd

Discussion in 'Software' started by Discoithdavith, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Discoithdavith

Discoithdavith Private E-2

Hey there. Trying to install Windows Vista home basic from dvd to my fiancees laptop, but we cant get it to boot from disk.

Its not the CD because we have tried several.

When i hit f2 in bios to choose boot option, the only options are the hdd, dvdram and usb-cdrom but we've tried all 3 of those and none of them are working.

There isnt any writing coming up saying "press any button to boot from cd" as that happens on my laptop (dell)

I cant think what else to do, is there anyone who has had this problem, or knows how to fix it?

Cheers to everyone in advance.
    Dave

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you mean DVDROM?
    I assume the laptop has an internal DVD drive. Does the drive normally read CDs too? If you aren't sure and there is a windows OS install, put in a CD and then open windows explorer and look if what is on the CD appears. (I'm trying to determine if the CD part of the drive is operational).

When you go into the BIOS, move the DVDROM drive into 1st boot device and put the hdd in position 2 or 3. Exit the BIOS and be sure to save the changes. Open the optical drive, put in the Vista CD and reboot the computer. What happens?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds