Best solution for my home based business?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mann2015x, May 20, 2015.

1. mann2015x

mann2015x Private E-2

Looking for some guidance on what set of software/subscriptions would be best for my home-based business. Here's what I have now:

-- My website hosted with squarespace
    -- My email is currently a free POP service offered by my domain registrar
    -- My calendar and contacts in Google
    -- Laptop (PC)
    -- My tablet is ipad
    -- Blackberry Curve 9320 (go ahead, mock it – yes it's a creaky dinosaur but I love the small size and durability)

My primary objectives: 1) Real-time seamless syncing of e-mail (IMAP) and same for my calendar and contacts across all devices above. 2) Will work with my blackberry 9320 (google seems to have stopped blackberry support, so assuming signing up for google apps for business would not work out well for me...). 3) Price. But don't mind paying for solution that works and dependable though.

Here's what I am considering: 1). Buy Microsoft Office 365 University edition, as my partner is student and it is less than $100 for 4 years. 2) Given 365 University does not include custom domain support/can't connect my current custom domain e-mail address, was going to also buy the standalone Microsoft Exchange "Online Plan 1" (approx $4/month). 3) Point my laptop/ipad/blackberry mail and calendar settings to the Exchange server.

Given the above, any problems you foresee? Any other options/vendors I am missing? Thanks so much!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Office 365 is a good option for a small (SME) business as while you are paying a subscription per year you also get al updates and the benefits of Onedrive etc, do you need exchange though as that seems overkill at present as a small business may not need to go that route yet, a Windows Phone would easily connect to gmail and others but also allows you to connect to Office 365 for files on the go. So worth a look at a Windows Phone for your business use, anything around the Nokia/Microsoft Lumia 735, 930, are good I have an older 920 and its perfect for casual and business use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds