freezing/slow speed/non-responsive

Discussion in 'Software' started by mlocky657, May 22, 2015.

1. mlocky657

mlocky657 Private E-2

hi i have an old sony vaio pcg-6c1m/vgn-s1xp running xp pro sp3 intel pentium m processor 1.70ghz 593mhz 512 mb of ram what it is ive done a fresh install and driver updates from sony aswell as windows/microsoft update im using avg 2015 anti virus with avg tune up but since updating the notebook seems really slow it freezes sometimes and becomes non-responsive. it seems to take ages opening a web page opening a program but before updates it was fairly quick and i dont understand it can anyone shed some light ion it please and thanks.:confused

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Where's my beer? :confused

You need to add more RAM. I'm running Windows XP & 7 on a partitioned hard disc with a 1.8 GHz Celeron CPU. But, I have 3 GB RAM.
    Get rid of AVG and it's so-called Tune Up. Install Avast.

Visit Crucial.com, download the scanner, and you'll know what RAM and how much your PC can use.

http://www.crucial.com/

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The maximum RAM for the vgn-s1xp, 11 year old laptop is 1MB. Unfortunately Windows XP and 7 both require more than 1MB to run.
    1MB was fine when XP first came out but three service packs later, it is not enough.

Eldon, crucial doesn't carry RAM for that model. I tried both PCG-6c 1m (not listed at all) then I tried VGN-s1xp and it said no compatible memory carried.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not suprised. New DDR RAM is as scarce as hen's teeth.

5. mlocky657

mlocky657 Private E-2

Thanks guys thats answered my questions. The computer is my girls it was only bought for £20 it was for her just for guess what facebook lol think it looks like its ready for the knackers yard 11 yr old I didn't know that but thabks both of you for all your help and Eldon the beers in the post for the last lot of help cheers. Ah forgot to say tried avast and dowloadef the free trial but couldn't work out how to do the licence I aquired so stuck on the free version for 30 days lol but thanks for all your help.;) :wine: heres a glass of wine to keep u going lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds