No Sound Device Found

Discussion in 'Software' started by rottenapple, May 22, 2015.

1. rottenapple

rottenapple Private E-2

Hello MG

I have a ASUS P4P800, I recently installed windows xp pro. SP3
    and since I did that I have no sound. In device manager it come up yellow under
    "Multimedia Controller" and XP PRO cant find the hardware of course.
    That being said I have went through this before when I Installed XP PRO on another HDD
    and fixed the problem. But this time around I cant remember how or what I did.
    I know I downloaded SOUNDMAX from the ASUS website (that's the driver that comes up for my mobo) but when I go to install it it says "DRIVER NOT FOUND REBOOT SYSTEM TRY SETUP AGAIN" and when you restart the PC of course you get the same ERROR message again.
    So I know there is something more I need to install prior to the SOUNDMAX setup.
    I just don't remember what it is or how to find it.
    Usually I just surf forums and pages until I figure it out myself, but I feel like I exhausted all my options Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

rottenapple...

Try this:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P4P800+SE&os=17

Go down to sound and try the driver there. Just guessing, but the file says it's a version 5, which corresponds to the version of Windows represented by XP (Windows version 5 is XP, 6 is Vista, etc.), so I think this driver will work with XP, and this is your mb i believe. Looks like there are several drivers there if you would like to add the rest, also...

3. rottenapple

rottenapple Private E-2

Thanks for the reply
    but that is the download I was referring to, it wont let me install it says driver not found
    and the sound card is working tested right before XP pro Installation.

4. AtlBo

rottenapple...

OK, try this:

http://www.techspot.com/community/t...not-found-please-reboot-and-try-again.159038/

The Microsoft link apparently only works for HD audio. If your audio is not SoundMax HD, then give the second set of instructions a try. They mention trying the download with Internet Explorer instead of any other browser. No idea why that might work.

You may want to take a look on Google using this search:

xp driver not found

This will turn up quite a bit of information...

5. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

At the link that AtlBo posted, expand the utilities category and install the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V5.02.1003.
    Reboot, then try installing the audio drivers.

Edit: follow AtlBo's suggestions first. :)

6. rottenapple

rottenapple Private E-2

Atl bo,

I been through all the trouble shooting you suggested and I believe i have diag the problem. In device manager under system devices there is no Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. I cant find a download for it the microsoft hot fix given does not install that. I also want to note that I installed the chipset as recommended by null. I'm still working hard at this problem thanks for all the support so far fellas.

7. AtlBo

rottenapple...

I ran across the same things as Musksnipe. Looks like this was a very widespread problem back in the day, and I think you are on the right scouring through the old threads on the topic. Hopefully, you will find what you are looking for somewhere. Let us know how you are coming along or if you hit any snags along the way...

8. AtlBo

rottenapple...

By the way, I just thought of something that might add a little bit to this. You are installing the correct driver, but I am thinking that that driver might only be an add on for the Microsoft HD one you mentioned. That could explain why you are getting the message that a file cannot be found as perhaps that file is part of the MS HD driver. Again, I definitely think you are on the right track, for sure...

9. rottenapple

rottenapple Private E-2

Just wanted to follow up,

With Windows Service Pack 3 installed I wasn't able to install
    KB888111 uaa because that fix was only for SP2
    I couldn't uninstall Service Pack 3 because it was not listed in Add/Remove
    even with the updates box checked. I also couldn't perform a system restore
    because for some reason it was not listed as a restore point and I had just installed XP on that HDD so I couldn't go back far enough to when the update hadn't been installed. I also could not uninstall it from the hidden folder $NtServicePackUninstall$ because spunist.exe wasn't there!

so after that head ache I decided to get my other HDD ran a Nuke using Dban (I didn't want to take the chance of any kind of corruption error problem during the fresh install) installed a fresh copy of XP home SP2 on that then I was able to install the KB888111 uaa

after that I went back to the asus site

I opened Internet explorer (the reason is because the asus sites works with ActiveX to get your exact MOBO model number)
    which is p4p800-s-x it gave me the download for the exact driver I needed
    and Veni Vidi Vici!!! I have sound, lol

thanks for all the help again MG
    I've been a huge fan of the site for a long time.
    keep on keeping on!

10. AtlBo

rottenapple...

omg...man you really earned your stripes on that one. It's so amazingly satisfying when the logic comes together that way and the plan works. I guess that's why computers are so cool, because as long as the logic is good, anything can work.

Really glad you got it back working...still laughing ol :-D about what it actually took to get the right driver. Really funny to me and good job...:major

BTW...put that driver away somewhere where you can get to it again in case you need it!

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

And make an image!!! Nothing gives you more security than knowing you have images from lots of dates when the computer was working correctly. (I image 4 computers once a month).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds