Computer will not boot from HD

Discussion in 'Software' started by carmello2003, May 23, 2015.

1. carmello2003

carmello2003 Private First Class

Had to send for restore disks for HP Laptop (Windows 8) , after HD crash, New WD500 HD from New egg.com
    Restoring went smoothly UNTIL I rebooted to restart the first time. I got error Boot Device Not Found
    Restarted again... nothing. I went into bios to check on boot menu and my hard drive was not listed. Restarted and clicked F9 for diagnostics, memory passed, HD passed. What now? See pics
    It IS listed although under legacy boot. Did not work
    Picture to BIG.
    I tried to enable legacy boot then configure and it did not work
    HELP!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. carmello2003

Pictures were to large. I resized them
    What you see in the picture are the defaults
    Thank You In Advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. carmello2003

OK so while waiting for someone to reply I have Piggy-Backed it to my other laptop. "F" and "G" is this drive. Looks like its all there......

Attached Files:

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I suspect this to be because your new HDD is a GPT formatted disk rather than an MBR formatted disk. Download and burn to CD the Partition Wizard Bootable CD. Boot to the CD and, if the option is available, convert the disk from GPT to MBR. Then try again with your restore disks.

5. carmello2003

I did not see the option BUT.....
    I removed it again and Piggy-Backed it again in my other laptop.
    Went to Device Manager then Storage and deleted all the Partions then did a re-format there. Poped it in the other drive and when installing the restore disks again the first thing it said was ....
    "Formatting Windows Part of Drive Continue or Exit" If I exit it aborts the operation so I clicked yes....
    Does Not Work...
    :cry

6. carmello2003

Actually the Partition Wizard said I had to Load The Kernell First then took me in circles

7. carmello2003

OK so after sitting in front of this computer for HOURS I finally got something from HP They give me a file to flash the BIOS with

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04588833

Except when hitting F10 it does not give me a choice to click on file. Just goes to BIOS and when booting from Flash Drive I get
    "Checking Media..... FAILED"
    "Checking Media..... FAILED"
    then it shuts down

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The CD bootup has a Safe Mode option - try that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds