No sound despite working drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Isaccdemon, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Isaccdemon

Isaccdemon Private E-2

Alright I have the Asrock x38 TwinTurbo motherboard, and I am using onboard sound. I have never had problems with my sound previously, however this weekend I had to completely wipe my system and reinstall windows.

Now I cannot get any sound to play. I have tried other headsets and speakers, and none of them work.

I have installed, reinstalled, and reinstalled again the Realtek HD Audio drivers, and the device manager says they are working fine.

All options and settings should allow sound, however everything is silent.

Help? =/

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Since you didn't provide any real details, we could really use an Everest hardware/software report so we can see the exact motherboard model and the Windows version and service pack, along with other important details like chipset, etc. Here's some info about Everest:
    However, a quick fix would be to try to uninstall the drivers, install the HD update from Microsoft, KB888111, then reinstall the sound driver. You can download KB888111 from this direct link. If it doesn't work, post the Everest report and we'll try something else.
    :-D

3. Isaccdemon

Isaccdemon Private E-2

When I tried the KB888111, it tells me that the service pack I am using is already newer and that I don't need the update, and then cancels the update.

I'll attack the everest thing though, since I did that. Note that the sound drivers were not installed anymore when I ran everest.

Attached Files:

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK. You have service pack 3 installed, and KB888111 does not work correctly with SP3. So you need to temporarily 'trick' SP3 into thinking that you're running SP2, install KB888111, undo the 'trick', and then install the sound driver. Follow the steps in this thread. I'd also recommend installing the chipset drivers if you haven't already done so; you can download them from your motherboard maker's web site: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=X38TurboTwins&s=&T=D&ID=500. So, here's a summary: uninstall the sound driver; install the chipset driver; perform the SP3-SP2 'trick'; install KB888111; undo the 'trick'; install the sound driver; restart your PC.
    Good luck! I hope this helps!
    :-D

[dlb]

(you can download your sound driver from your motherboard maker's web site: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=X38TurboTwins&s=&T=D&ID=433 or you can get a much newer release from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_2KXP03_d4902.html)

5. Isaccdemon

Isaccdemon Private E-2

Yeah, I did exactly what you said, ran KB888111, and the drivers once again say they work but there is still no sound.

Any new ideas?

6. Isaccdemon

Isaccdemon Private E-2

Wait nvm it works now! My friend helped me, because I hadn't run the fix properly. All better now, thank lots.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad I could help! :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds