Well I got the date

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nedlamar, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

About 8 months ago I busted my gut (inguinal hernia) at work, a good one too, bust big, a little smaller than half a baseball sticking out my gut. Now I know how John Hurt felt :-D
    Realising xmas was coming I didn't want to take the time off work so I just grinned and bared it until January.

Then went to docs and he told me I have a hernia......duh, this time it's the left side, I had one 8 years ago on the right side lol, so I had to go for tests and physicals etc and got the date for my operation.......April 1st.
    I mean, seriously? they are gonna stitch me up with a smiley face or something aren't they :-D

Life is not without irony, here's me, a joker to the end and I get to be cut open on the jokiest day of the year lol

Just a pity Workers Insurance hasn't come yet, trying to rally people to send in forms is hard work, here's poor old me not earnt a penny since xmas, funds are getting tight.......well, they got tight in early Feb, getting ridiculous now lol

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

April 1st eh?:-D Don't worry, we'll fix your hernia tomorrow, this was just for fun today!:p:-D Good luck Ned. Hope the finances get shored up soon.:)

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lmao thanks very much, I never even thought of that :-D

It's funny, a lot of people keep asking if I'm scared or worried lol, I think of it like free time off work :-D AND I get to be pampered by the missus :-D

I just hope it goes better than last time, good old English National Health at it's best, waited 4 months for op, they told me I was having laproscopic surgery under local anesthetic, so I was told to have dry toast for breakfast.
    Got there and surgeon checked me over and said "Oh, well this is much more severe than reported, we can't do this laproscopically" and I was like "Ooookaaay"
    So he says "You have 2 choices, we can either reschedual you or we can just do it under local"
    I didn't want to wait any longer so I told him to just do it lol, I asked him if it would hurt even with the local anesthetic.....he said "Probably quite a bit"
    So I jibber jabbered to the nice nurse while they made a 5" cut across my gut, through my muscle and stitched a nice piece of plastic to my muscle, yes it hurt....but I had a laugh with the nurse while they were doing it, I took a camera with me and asked her to take a pic :-D she refused since I was under the influence of drugs, she said I should have asked her before being doped up lol
    Aparently the drugs they give you make most people so relaxed they fall asleep, not me, made me hyper lol, didn't stop talking the whole time :-D

Oh well, it's all in good fun and it means I'll have 2 pieces of plastic in my gut :-D
    Guess maybe I should start thinking about lighter duty job eh.

4. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Hope it all goes well, Ned. NHS ain't improved much since you were banished from the UK.
    The date could be worse.....11/11/11 at 11.11 am, would be something to post about ;)

5. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

That is my Wedding Anniversary date, so I can relate.:p Yep N.H.S. is just as slow and cumbersome as ever last I was back in the U.K.

Hope the operation goes off without a hitch, Ned. Well, we have a 'Bionic Belgian' - now we can have a 'Plastic Pom' on the Forum.LOL Yeah, you may have to do lighter duties from now on.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lmao, I'm also going to steal the "Banished" when people ask me why I'm here lol

@Phantom... Plastic Pom?..........seriously? You're giving me Plastic Pom? lol,.... thanks very much :-D , how about The Bakerlite Brit? :-D

I tell you something though guys, as much as we all moan about the NHS, it may take longer but I'm telling you it's cheaper than North America lol
    You would not believe prescription charges here, treatment is free yes, but you pay for the pills......they expensive.
    I've been told I'll be given these and them, I'm not paying it, I'll just buy no-name painkillers lol

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

This is a new one on me, this morning at 9:30 I got a phone call from the Hospital saying they had a cancellation and would I like surgery today lol, Obviously I declined since everything is planned for the 1st........but I just thought that was odd lol.

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, you would probably be right if you meant only the US and not lump us into the equation as well. The yanks keep complaining that their meds are too expensive and want to come up here and buy our cheaper but subsidized meds! Hands off!:boxing

BTW, take your pain meds man, a hernia like that takes a lot of cutting.;)

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol I know there's a huge huge difference between the States and here, I was talking more about the price of prescriptions, unless they've changed it in the UK in the last few years, when the doc gives you a prescription you pay somewhere around 6.50GBP ($10CAD) and that includes whatever meds are on it. Here you have to pay the prescription charge AND the meds price. I'm not complaining though, I'm not one to go to the docs unless I can't fix it myself lol.
    And I know the op, had it done before, I figure I'll get some Presidents Choice Ibuprofen and a nice bottle of Appleton Estates :-D j/k

To be honest I don't like taking pills at all, especially ones that make me gaga, apparently I'll likely get perks or Oxy's, whatever the hell they are lol, I know they're the ones all these pill poppers love, meaning I probably wont like them lol

10. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

OMG they changed the date, missus booked a week off work to "Look after me" (you know what women are like lol) and now they put it back to the 8th and she can't reschedule her hours. That really helps our financial issues. Oh well.

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I hope all goes well for the op Ned, maybe 1st April was a joke after all.

I have just had an op on my left hip but last year when they did the right one it was on December 26 and i think all the surgical staff were hung over.

Well from the Bionic Belgian to the Bakerlight Brit lots of good thought coming your way.

12. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Too bad about your date change, maybe telling them your wife has already made arrangements to be home with you?
    Good wishes on your surgery. My advise to you would be Stop hurting yourself !

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol @Darlene, you're not the first person to tell me that.

We managed to get the wifes work thing semi sorted so she wont lose too much time.

By the way thanks for the wishes guys, I actually started this thread to laugh about the date but in standard MG's form you guys have expressed best wishes and I'm greatful :)

So here we are now with concerns for my blood pressure (160/110 at doctors lol) but results at home showing much lower, very high colesterol, so I'm now on a diet :mad and a heart murmer.
    I'm 32 , maybe I should start thinking about healthier living lol.

Aparently I'm a 16% chance of Heart attack in the next 5 years which I found to be a touch concerning, had to rush out for a smoke to calm my nerves lol

Anyway, I suppose it's onto less bacon and fried foods, cutting down (eventually quitting) smoking and some exercise, funny, I never thought of exercising given my job entails me manually lifting/moving an average of 5000lbs of material per day.
    Maybe time for an easier job and more cardio exercise outside of work.

I could get a Wii instead of new PS3 :-D

14. darlene1029

Your young enough to where you can pretty much start over, be healthy. Sounds like all fixable stuff, just gotta do it. Not easy, good luck :)

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Yeah, it hit a little hard at first and I have to admit it scared me, but I quickly came to realise it's as you say "Fixable"
    But I like bacon! :-D

16. darlene1029

So did my man Dan, and real butter, whole milk. There was a lot of nagging but we're both in our sixties. You better not put it off :(
    smoking agh won't even go there

17. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

This sounds very familiar lol, along with full cream in Coffee and a dozen eggs per week. I'm English, we fry stuff :-D
    But yes I do understand what you're saying and believe me, I will be making a conserted effort to get the job done.

Smoking, well that is going to have to wait a while, giving up everything at once will drive me to insanity, but cutting back on everything is within range and thats my plan to start with :)

18. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I had a similar experience when, less than a week after being discharged from the hospital after my appendix was removed, I had internal bleeding. ( They had removed a small nick of my intestines when removing the organ. ) They had to open me back up, so I had my pre-op shots to make me drowsy and started to nap out. I was later awakened to be told the doctor was running late and they would do it now. I got a local because I had already had the other drugs. It was not a pleasant experience.

Good luck on your procedure. I hope all works out well for you both.

19. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well I just got told my WSIB claim has been rejected.
    The reasons

1: I did not report it to my employer until 3 weeks after it happen.
    Reason for this: I didn't think it was anything more than a muscle strain (actually I knew what it was but couldn't afford the time off right before xmas)

2: I didn't seek medical attention until Feb 2nd.
    Reason for this: I just finished immigration process and didn't have a family doctor yet, applied in december but office was close for xmas, reapplied in Jan and took 3-4 weeks to get added to patient list and get appointment.
    Aparently I should have gone to Emergency, you know because they need extra people piling up when there's nothing at all they can do to help.

So this WSIB person just basically crippled me financially.
    Been living on $200 per week since Dec and borrowing money, telling utilities they would get paid when I get my claim money......so now I can't hold the wolves at bay any longer.

Life is great isn't it.

20. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds