To switch or not to switch

Discussion in 'Software' started by clemmo, Dec 5, 2004.

1. clemmo

clemmo Private E-2

I'm working with Windows XP and I've been hijacked by some obnoxious web search page. No matter what I do it persists and will not allow me access to my homepage without typing in the site in the address bar at the top of the screen. I've read somewhere that the best approach is to dump IE and use something else like MOZILLA. I'm a little leery of trying this at home. I'm not the most adept at computers and I'm afraid I'll do more damage than good.

Please advise.
    Thanks

2. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Sometimes these Browser Highjack things are easy to remove. Others?........Not so much. lol Check out this thread & follow the directions to the letter & you should be able to remove the Browser Highjack.

I don't use IE at all anymore & have not for a long time. I use Mozilla Firefox & I've not had any issues whatsoever with Popups, Highjacks or the like. You can easily bring all your Favorites from IE over to Mozilla with no problem.

Check that first link I posted. All the programs are located right here at MG, they are simple to run, just follow the directions.

Best 'o luck to yas. ;)

3. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

i 2nd that, even if you don't have any problems with internet explorer, you should switch over to firefox, if you hit control + t you can open another tab and tabbed browse, or hold control and click on a link will open a link in a new tab. it is by far superior to internet explorer... it will help keep society's computers in line, if everyone will just switch...

4. Wizry11

Wizry11 Private First Class

Bro FireFox is WAYY superior to IE and will make hijacks a thing of the past

i use it on my computer and my roommate does not - check out my current headache thread entitled "praying you guys can help . . . " and take a guess if THAT computer was using Firefox or IE. . . frickin microsoft . . . not that it might just be a coincidence . . . but maybe not :cool:

5. Wizry11

Wizry11 Private First Class

oh yeah, in other words . . .

SWITCH!!! FOR GODS SAKE SWITCH!!!

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

to switch, definitely

7. clemmo

clemmo Private E-2

To Everyone who answered,
    Thanks for the direction. Deciding to make the leap, I download the Firefox software and made it my home page. I double clicked on the desktop icon for Firefox and whammo, the Firefox page came up but it was a blank page except for the tool bar at the top of the screen. I type in www.ebay.com and it tells me it can't find www.ebay.com. What gives? What did I do wrong?
    I knew this wouldn't be as easy as it sounded.
    Help!!

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

did you ever have zone alarm installed on that machine?

9. needasmoke

needasmoke Private E-2

Switch,after a week IE will be just a bad virus,trojan distant memory.no more spyware.You should clean up your machine or it will slow down and cause probs.You wont get hijacked with firefox

10. mindMINER

mindMINER Private E-2

whats the name of the web browser highjack>180 by chance? you will have to
    remove it from windows.
    :D

11. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

I have both browsers. but still use IE because of my Yahoo toolbar. Can it get it with Firefox?

CC

12. mindMINER

mindMINER Private E-2

is the barr by 180?

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

14. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks Kodo...That took care of that and made FF better IMO. However, I noticed the the popup blocker and anti-spy feature of the toolbar is effective only with IE. So.................

CC

15. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

With Firefox, you do not need the popup blocker and anti-spyware feature of the yahoo toolbar - it's already built in, and much more effective.

16. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

barnburner. THANKS!!! That is good news. WHEW!!! May just use FF only from now on

Jack

17. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

But if you use MSN Messenger and click the alerts about your mailbox, it will open them in IE and there isn't a way to change this...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds