On Vista and Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by n3demonic, Oct 19, 2006.

1. n3demonic

n3demonic Private E-2

I know that Vista is still in progress, however I am wondering if anyone has had any luck dealing with installing drivers in RC2 build 5744. I've been having difficulty installing my HLW2(hawking network adapter) Always failing by saying "A service installation section in this inf is invalid"

I had emailed support and received this file
    http://www.atheros.com/RD/ZyDAS/web...s/ZD1211BWinPkgM_1_0_0_0_Vista_PreRelease.zip
    since the adapter is based on the zydas chipset.

I've installed it and still could not get my adapter to work (with same error)

I have two questions
    Is there a way to avoid all this grief somehow?
    How fast would the drivers be out for Vista once Vista is finalized and released to the public?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

1st

Possible to try is to elevate the permissions of the driver .exe file, right click the .exe and choose properties > compatibility > under Privilage Level tick/check the Run this program as an Administrator > apply

then run the driver again.

2nd

No and the speed of driver updates are in the hands of the developers of the hardware or software, microsoft can put some pressure on them but cannot force them to do it, sadly many 3rd party devs are waiting for Vista to be released retail before bothering to update software/drivers.

Some drivers are either not available or just are not stable enough to work with Vista.

3. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

It's probably because there pre general release drivers and they are going to have bugs in them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds