Mouse stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharpconnect, Jan 23, 2007.

1. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

My daughter must installed additional memory in her(win XP) PC clone. She claims that the cordless optical mouse stopped working after the memory installation. She bought a new corded mouse and plugged it in and still has the same problem. Any ideas?

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Does the keyboard still work? What happens if you remove the memory, does the mouse work again?

3. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

The keyboard still works. Just the mouse is not working. No, she hasn't yet tried to uninstall the memory she added.

4. Valhallis

Another question, is the new mouse USB? Or is it old style PS/2 (round connector)?

Can she get into Windows?

5. sharpconnect

sharpconnect Private E-2

I believe round -- she said she plugged it in "where the mouse belongs".It has both but she used the round end cause she said the USB would not power the new mouse -- maybe that port is bad?

6. Valhallis

The reason why I ask is that sometimes USB devices are not recognized always by the Windows login. My suggestion would be to power it on, unplug the USB mouse and plug it into a different port. Windows may recognize it.

If it is PS/2 round (often green) connector, it is very important to only plug it in when the system is off. PS/2 devices are not plug and play like USB devices.

A final thing to try, going back to the wireless mouse, sometimes it can lose the signal. Try unplugging and plugging into a new USB port. If it doesn't work after 30 sec to a minute, check and see if the receiver that plugs into the USB port has a 'connect' button. If it does, hit it and then hit the connect button on the mouse. Wait about 30 sec to a minute and see if it works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds