delete C\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft

Discussion in 'Software' started by evil_queen_lisa, Dec 19, 2010.

1. evil_queen_lisa

evil_queen_lisa Private E-2

Hey all,
    My friends brother has autism and uses his computer purely for watching youtube. For some reason this folder: C\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft is 30Gb! I can't seem to find the actual files (even with hidden files being shown), and when i delete the individual folders within this folder it only deletes a few Mb. When i delete the Microsoft folder it will delete the full 30gb (i've always restored it because im not sure if its okay to delete). We need to clear up space on his HDD; is it safe to delete this whole folder? He has no programs on his computer other than internet explorer to watch youtube with.
    Thanks for your help,
    *EQL*

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I wouldn't delete that folder. CCleaner will clear out the temporary and cached files that are taking up most of that storage space without removing important files. I've used it for years without issues.
    http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Manually deleting files in the AppData folder is NEVER a good idea. It can corrupt installed programs, or worse, the Windows install.

I second the recommendation for using CCleaner.

5. evil_queen_lisa

evil_queen_lisa Private E-2

i actually had previous just run CCleaner and Windows Disc Cleanup, neither of them got rid of it. I think it may have somehow just been a file system error. I moved the files to a different folder and back again, and they no longer took up 30Gb. We'll see if it stays like that.
    Thanks for the help so far,
    *EQL*

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds