Minimize icon lost

Discussion in 'Software' started by COREYATMN, Aug 4, 2004.

1. COREYATMN

COREYATMN Private E-2

Hi,
    In my zeal to get rid of the cool search hijacker, I somehow lost my icon at the bottom of the screen to minimize all windows. I can still do so by right clicking on the bar at the bottom and bringing up the menu. I tried to run the quick launch tool bar, but I get an error "Cannot create toolbar". I'm guessing I deleted something I shouldn't have. I'm running Win 2000 Pro. All else seems to work ok. Thanks for any ideas.......... Corey

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Do you mean you lost the "Show Desktop" shortcut?

3. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

yeah i don't know what he is referring to.

eric

4. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

For the "Show Desktop" shortcut from the Quicklaunch bar, create new file "Show Desktop.SCF" (w/o quotes) and edit and save his file to include the lines below.

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

5. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

You can also use the Windows key and the M, i.e., Win+M, to minimize all windows. :)

6. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

hmm i didn't know that... thanx

7. COREYATMN

COREYATMN Private E-2

Thanks Ken,
    What folder do I save that file to?

8. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

You can place the shortcut into any folder you want. Once there drag it to the quicklaunch bar. Where the actual quicklaunch bar [folder] is is this w/o quotes:

"C:\Documents and Settings\[username\\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

If you've lost your quick launch bar create, the above folder

9. COREYATMN

COREYATMN Private E-2

Ok, I have an icon in the folder now, but when I try to drag it to the tray, there is a circle with the bar across it. If I can just get this dragged down where I can get to it, I'll be good! Any more ideas? Thanks so much!

10. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Do the rest in my previous post on creating the Quick Launch folder. You said you got an error when trying to get the Quick Launch toolbar when right-clicking on you taskbar to get to that specific toolbar. I'm guessing once you create that folder, you'll get the toolbar back then you can drag the Show Desktop icon and any other shortcuts into the the Quick Launch folder.

11. munky4745

munky4745 Private First Class

Well just some considerations I believe you should take into consideration. Spyware remover, antivirus and firewall. I'm not saying you have it but it seems, well to me that you accessed a website that put a script into your system which disables you to access your minimized windows.

12. COREYATMN

COREYATMN Private E-2

Sorry to keep being a pest.... I have the quick launch folder, and the icon is in it for show desktop. If I double click it in the folder, it works, and minimizes all windows. But it won't show on the tool bar, nor can I drag it down to the tool bar. I can make a shortcut on the desktop, however. It seems like the tool bar is locking out changes?

13. KindaSilly

KindaSilly Private E-2

Could you by chance have locked your desktop items? Right click on the desktop, select arrange icons by and look at the bottom of the new menu. If lock web items on desktop has a check by it, this will prevent you from adding items to the tool bar.

14. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

This was starting to get beyond me, so I did a Google search and pointed me to a thread in the Lockergnome forums...

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=21419

Read the whole thread carefully (2 pages) and follow the solutions. Back up your registry first.

15. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

16. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

It appears this problem is getting prevalent, here's another solution...

http://forums.techguy.org/t245205.html

BTW, on Google, enter the string "Cannot create toolbar", you'll see the links I'm referring too.

I do not mean to steal MG's thunder here, great site and problem solvers. Me...call me a guide and I can probably point you to the way ;)

17. COREYATMN

COREYATMN Private E-2

Thanks so much for all your replies. It's fixed, and the commands posted on the MVPS.ORG website did it! You guys are the best.........
    Corey

18. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

You're welcome :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds