AUDIO: Digital 5.1 Sound doesn't work at all.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plfx, Jan 28, 2009.

1. plfx

plfx Private E-2

I just got a set of Logitech Z-5500 speakers and connected them to my Asus P5E's onboard SoundMAX HD audio via the coaxial S/PDIF. I'm running the latest drivers from the Asus website.

THE PROBLEM: the output is entirely 2.1 channel in WinXP64, when it should be 5.1. I cannot coax even a whisper from the rear speakers, or from the center, or from direct-to-woofer output.

The surround speakers test just fine in the speaker-controller's own built-in test mode, and in Vista, but not in XP. In the SoundMAX control panel, I have set my configuration to Dolby Digital 5.1, but when I perform the channel test, the only sound comes from the front L&R speakers and from the subwoofer.

The LCD screen on the speakers' control center displays the text "No Digital Data" whenever no sound is being output to it, and this is precisely what it does when it ought to be playing through the rear speakers.

I need to get 5.1 working.

Help. Please.

2. plfx

plfx Private E-2

I'm increasingly convinced that this isn't a hardware problem, so I'm going to make a new thread under software. Feel free to delete this one, mods.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds