Back into it!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Speculant, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I noticed my team rank had dropped to 14, so I decided to get back into folding with my brand spanking new laptop.

Right now I'm just running the GPU client, but could I also run the SMP CPU client simultaneously (4 cores are available, 2 physical I think), or would that negatively decrease the performance on both clients too much?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'd rather just run the SMP on your 4 virtual cores than the video because of heat. These things have a narrow heat window and do not dissipate heat too well when at %100 CPU and video, I wouldn't want to see that nice rig burn! Maybe keep the SMP to %80 load instead. Heavy folding on a laptop is just not worth it IMO.

3. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Well, it doesn't seem to be heating up too bad on 100% gpu (my cellphone has gotten hotter), so I'll just leave it at gpu and see how it goes.

4. noprob

noprob Corporal

I am in agreement with augie from viewing the details of this review of the graphics on your laptop.

Seems to me doing the SMP client will not harm your laptop and I would even guess better production/points,but from changing over to GPU folding myself just last summer,heat plays a very big part.

just an opinion from this side of the monitor.

P.S. Welcome back! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds