Excel Formula

Discussion in 'Software' started by MZPRESTO, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

Hi

Does anyone know a quick method or type of formula I might need to do the following:

I have a spread sheet which i record new figures on everyweek and have different catergories, with the dates monday to friday down the side

Monday to friday dates are repeated about 15 times for the 15 diff categories and the moment I have to manually key them in the 1st category and then copy and paste them into the rest

Surely there is a better way?

Thanks in advance

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I'm not sure I understand your situation. For each category, you have a column with the day (Monday through Friday) and then you have another column with the dates for each day. Is that it?

So, the day cells are always simply Monday through Friday but the corresponding dates change each week. Is that it?

Suppose cells A1 through A5 are Monday through Friday, and cells B1 through B5 are Oct. 20 through Oct. 25. This would be for the first category, right? Let's say you leave a blank row between categories. So, the next category is in cells A7:A11 through B7:B11. And, so on, for all categories.

Cell B1 shows Oct. 20, which you entered. To show the same date in B7, insert the formula =B1. Enter the corresponding formula in cells B8:B11. Now, copy the formulas in B7:B11 down to each of the other categories.

Once all the formulas are setup, save this file as a template that you can use for subsequent weeks. Just change the dates in the first section (cells B1:B5) and the dates in the other categories will be updated by formula.

If I'm off the track here, can you attach an Excel file to a forum message so that I/we can take a look at it?

3. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

Thats awesome thanks, exactly what I needed it do!

OK 1 more question sorry, that does work perfect but
    If I want it to carry the dates into sheet 2 as well how
    do I do that is that possible?

Figured it out!!!! Don't worry

:-D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds