Different TCP/IP Settings for Different Networks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-15281db623, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I have a wireless router at home and all my computers are set up with a static IP address so I can port forward with my Linksys router. I also use my laptop at school, but I can not have a static IP and my IP and DNS information is provided for me automatically.

So when ever I go to school, I have to manually change my TCP/IP properties to obtain the information automatically or else I don't get any internet from the network. When I come back home I have to manually enter my IP and DNS settings again or else I can not get internet at home. (I can connect to my network, but internet does not work).

This goes back and forth every day....

So, what i want to know is, how can I keep my static IP configuration but still be able to automatically get my IP information from my school's network when I'm there without having to manually change the properties every time I come home or go to school?

Any help and input you can add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cooked

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. Anon-15281db623

I think I figured it out. I'll have to test it at home. thanks!

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

If you find something that works, post back and let us know! I'm curious how to simplify this, myself! (Aside from using DHCP all the time)

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

You can set all your computers to DHCP but then configure your router to associate a fixed IP to a specific MAC address. Most router manufacturers call this "Static DHCP". :)
    I have a D-Link, but yours may be similar:

Attached Files:

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

How do you configure that on a school router you don't have access to?

7. prometheos

Asking the administrator of the school router to accomodate your request, is the only method I can think of, at the moment. :)

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Has nothing to do with the schools router config, its his home router that would need to be set to do static ip by mac, or what every its called. His laptop stays set as auto obtain. At home the router will know to assign a certian ip to a certian mac address, at school the router would just do its normal thing.

9. prometheos

Quite correct, of course. I thought Mada_Milty was asking about using Static DHCP in the school environment. :)

10. Anon-15281db623

Well, I finally was able to get back to school and test it out but no go. The alternate settings were recognized at home but for some reason when I logged onto the school network, I still couldn't get an internet connection. Event though the default settings were to retrieve the information automatically. I had to get rid of the alternate settings in order for the internet to work at school. Maybe I'll just scrap the Static IP idea and go with automatic all the way around.

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

12. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yup...just havin' a bonehead moment...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds