sfc scannow/i386 question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cholleman, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Cholleman

Cholleman Private E-2

I have a laptop with a broken CDROM drive that is currently running XP Pro SP3 that was upgraded from SP2. As I understand it, in order to properly run sfc, you must have a CD with the proper SP3 files/i386 folder. Since the SP3 update was done through automatic updates, I do not have a CD with SP3 files. How can I get my hands on a copy of the i386 SP3 files? I was planning on doing the work-around with that involve modifying the source-path in the registry. Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. Cholleman

Cholleman Private E-2

4. RoyalGeek1

RoyalGeek1 Private E-2

Is the ROM drive down, or did it just stop working. If it works but the laptop can't see it there is a registry hack to remove the filters preventing it from being seen.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I'd still try SFc anyway and see if it runs without the need for the CD, also oops on cdrom, but check in your BIOS in the boot order if you can boot from USB as I have a workaround for popping the OS on USB pen, it may work with sfc, but not tried it myself, however I do install my oses via USB pen over CD/DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds